Best food for Cat with cancer

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Best food for Cat with cancer

Post by Grace56 »

Can anyone recommend a good commercial food (possibly a raw food) for a cat fighting cancer.
At the moment, Dave eats Sheba or Gourmet or Whiskas but I want to give him the best.

I have read that a high protein, low carbohydrates diet is best, with the very best being home cooked or raw food.

Also, has anyone ever used supplements or herbals to help fight cancer.

I’m desperate to do anything to help him as I feel so helpless. :(
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Best food for Cat with cancer

Post by booktigger »

Not sure about SCC, but some cancers respond to Metacam as it is a Cox inhibitor I think.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

I can’t really help, but I just needed to send you a hug. Someone will be along shortly to help you better xxx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I tried curcumin when my cat had cancer, but he was not keen on wet food so I found it almost impossible to disguise it
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I buy the Durham Animal Feed complete minced meat, which is a balanced combination of 80% muscle meat, 10% offal and 10% bone. They deliver widely, or you may find a local stockist. If you cook it (best simmered in water because of the bone) you can add a pinch of taurine to compensate for that lost through heat - taurine powder is widely available online. I have not yet had to cope with a cat with cancer, but my cats and dogs have done well on raw and cooked for the last eight years or so.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi fjm in line with Red Wine Lady, sending you & Dave +ve thoughts & to let you know we’re thinking of you both. Booktigger posted support in your first post. Did the vet give any advice other than giving the diagnoses? Fusses to Dave.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Mayday21 wrote:Hi fjm in line with Red Wine Lady, sending you & Dave +ve thoughts & to let you know we’re thinking of you both. Booktigger posted support in your first post. Did the vet give any advice other than giving the diagnoses? Fusses to Dave.
No, Mayday, to be honest it’s like they’ve seen that it’s terminal and aren’t willing to try anything else. Just palliative care to keep him comfortable.

But if anyone has any ideas, please share them. I’ll try anything for my baby. :(

Thank you everyone for diet ideas. I’ll certainly try them out. :)
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Grace56 wrote:
Mayday21 wrote:Hi fjm in line with Red Wine Lady, sending you & Dave +ve thoughts & to let you know we’re thinking of you both. Booktigger posted support in your first post. Did the vet give any advice other than giving the diagnoses? Fusses to Dave.
No, Mayday, to be honest it’s like they’ve seen that it’s terminal and aren’t willing to try anything else. Just palliative care to keep him comfortable.

But if anyone has any ideas, please share them. I’ll try anything for my baby. :(

Thank you everyone for diet ideas. I’ll certainly try them out. :)
Heartbreaking x

Personally I would feed him whatever he likes...even small children covered in chocolate, if that’s what your little man fancied (!)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Red wine lady wrote:

Personally I would feed him whatever he likes...even small children covered in chocolate, if that’s what your little man fancied (!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or else jointed and lightly sauteed, he he he :lol:
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

:lol: :lol:
I’ll do that right away Lilith and Red Wine Lady. ;)
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:
Red wine lady wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or else jointed and lightly sauteed, he he he :lol:
Happy New Year xx
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Grace56 wrote::lol: :lol:
I’ll do that right away Lilith and Red Wine Lady. ;)
Happy New Year...big hug xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Happy New Year Grace and Dave and Red Wine Lady and Oscar :D

Purrs and big hugs and love and all the very best and to everyone else on here as well, from Lil, Emily, Mouse, Molly and Shahi-python who sends a friendly squeeze xxx :D
HarryAzhar

Post by HarryAzhar »

Omega-3 fatty acids: Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oils. They may be very beneficial to cats with cancer.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I'm dealing with the same issue sadly, only I've got a non eater so I'm happy if she eats anything (as long as it doesn't upset her stomach.)
If puss is going toilet normally, I wouldn't be inclined to change his/her diet at all. I am using probiotic (fortiflora) and a vitamin supplement some lovely person on my thread recommended.

The one thing I have found with my cats who have had cancer is that they just want to live their life as normally as possible. I guess the same as we would. Does your puss enjoy being brushed and lots of fuss or maybe just having his or her usual freedom and lifestyle.

Thinking of you both at this difficult time.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with the others, feed him whatever he likes, and/or whatever he will eat. Hug him a lot, spoil him rotten and enjoy him as much as you can. Hugs to you too.