Cat Pees Outside Litterbox

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Halligan13
New Cat Chatter

Cat Pees Outside Litterbox

Post by Halligan13 »

Before we get any further, yes I made sure this wasn’t a medical issue, and no, there is nothing different about her litterbox or the litter itself. It seems to be a behavioral thing; a “baby separation anxiety” issue. Whenever my roommate and I are “inaccessible,” like we are both working on something in the garage or we are both behind shut doors in our bathrooms, my cat will pee on a bed or on the corner of the floor mat under her litterbox. This is the only time she does this! She’s not new to this home and I’ve had her for many years. Is this revenge because she can hear us but can’t get to us? It’s not even for long periods of time. I was in the shower and my roommate got up to use the bathroom. In that brief time that we were both behind closed doors, the cat got off the couch and peed in front of the litterbox. I adore my cat and I will NOT get rid of her because of this; but I can’t keep cleaning up after her like this! Help!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat Pees Outside Litterbox

Post by MarySkater »

What about fitting your bathroom doors with cabin hooks, so that the door can be secured from the inside, but leaving about a 6-inch gap. This should give adequate privacy for you and your roommate, but would allow the cat to come in and join you if she wants to.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Have you thought about getting her a companion cat? Would she tolerate another cat in the house?
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Red wine lady »

I’ve just started watching episodes of ‘My cat from hell’ Wow, there are so many cats with issues in this world...however the one thing the behaviourist deals with every episode is ‘inappropriate peeing’ and every cat seemed to have a different reason why!

However, whatever your kitty is getting upset over, the best thing is to try and calm her down, I use Cystophan (I buy mine from amazon)...but there are various other makes. I found this really helped whilst I was trying to find out the cause of my cats issues (which I now think was cats wandering around outside, making Oscar demented!)

Good luck...I know it’s hard work x