Pippin's experiences with hyperthyroidism

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Pippin's experiences with hyperthyroidism

Post by Antonio »

That's good news, fjm!
If Pippin is fine at three months, you can imagine how very good he will be in another three months! :D

I would recommend this treatment forever. I would do tha tagain to any future cat of mine, if necessary. It's kind of a miracle!

Kisses to Pippin ;)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Great news, congrats to the pair of you, and Mousey sends purrs, and to Pallina too :D
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Thanks all - scritches and purrs to Mouse and Pallina, too.

This was the first Cartrophen jab - I have read for dogs it is a course of four, and wondered if Pip would need a full course to see results. I didn't mention it till the last moment, and there were people and animals waiting, so I didn't get to discuss it in as much detail as usual, but the vet said if it worked a monthly dose might be helpful. I'll catch up with him after the Bank Holiday and see what he thinks.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

fjm wrote:Thanks all - scritches and purrs to Mouse and Pallina, too.

This was the first Cartrophen jab - I have read for dogs it is a course of four, and wondered if Pip would need a full course to see results. I didn't mention it till the last moment, and there were people and animals waiting, so I didn't get to discuss it in as much detail as usual, but the vet said if it worked a monthly dose might be helpful. I'll catch up with him after the Bank Holiday and see what he thinks.
Last I used it, it was a course of 4, I opted to go for acupuncture first with Lucy, purely because I didn't think she'd tolerate it, that was also a 4 week course
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

booktigger wrote: Last I used it, it was a course of 4, I opted to go for acupuncture first with Lucy, purely because I didn't think she'd tolerate it, that was also a 4 week course
Pallina and Lola had a 5 week course of acupuncture too.
Pallina for her stomach issue, it didn't work much.
Lola for her arthritis and pains, and for the bleeding from her carcinoma. And they worked fine!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Vet also recommended the course of four if it seemed to be effective, and although it may be owner placebo effect Pippin does seem a lot more comfortable so I have booked him for the second tomorrow.

We are actually having a summer at the moment - nigh on perfect weather in the North West despite cloud and thunderstorms elsewhere - and he is absolutely revelling in it. Sprawling in the sun, shifting to the shade, soaking up warmth and vitamin D. And then setting off very purposefully on what looked remarkably like a hunting trip - it will have to be a very slow mouse, I fear!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Hurrah! Pippin's three month blood test results are in - creatinine down from 167 to 149, and SDMA right down from 16 to 9, so it looks as if his kidneys are fine and settling down after the hyperthyroidism. T4 17 (low end of normal), liver normal, slightly high globulin but that is probably inflammation from the arthritis. Taken with his improvements in appearance and gait everything is looking good - I will continue to monitor, of course, and Andrew suggested another blood pressure check in a week or two just to be sure, but I think he really is getting back to normal and the hyperthyroidism has not caused permanent damage.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That's great!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Great news :D

Did he catch it, his slooow mouse? :lol:
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

If he did he didn't bring it home!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Good news indeed! :D
Happy to read that, I'm sure the next blood test will give you more peace of mind!
Cuddles to Pippin ;)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Pip had his fourth cartrophen jab today, and I had his blood pressure taken as well - 144 so no problems there. He is feeling soft and lithe rather than like a bundle of sticks, and his back is nearly level when he walks, which I always feel is a good sign (it hunches when he is in pain from the arthritis). So everything is looking good - hyperthyroidism cured, kidneys and blood pressure fine, pain under better control than before. It seems much more than 3 months since he came home - we have gone from winter to 6 weeks of summer since then!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That's great - is he having cartrophen monthly or when needed?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

My vet recommends monthly for 6 months, and then review. It is hard to say how much of the improvement is getting over the hyperthyroidism, and how much the cartrophen, but it is certainly worth a good trial.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

As long as he is happy, that is the main thing