Chronic Cystitis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sv0316
New Cat Chatter

Chronic Cystitis

Post by Sv0316 »

Hi there

I’m having real trouble with my cat and would like some impartial views if possible. Sorry for the long post - I’m at the end of my tether.

My cat has suffered for around 3 years with chronic cystitis due to stress. Hes 4 years old. He’s a very on edge cat (although you wouldn’t know, he’s very friendly and comes up for cuddles) and something small changing in his environment can set him off.

His bladder has blocked on 3 separate occasions and he’s had to go under anaesthetic to have it unblocked. The most recent episode resulted in his penis being removed so that it reduced the likelihood of further blockages. We have been told that if he gets a stone again they will be unable to catheterise him and he will most certainly have to be put to sleep.

If any small thing changes in his environment he gets an episode of cystitis, pees everywhere and it’s normally bloody. Now he has had the penis removed it’s more like a spray so it does literally go everywhere. We’ve had terrible episodes if we’ve gone away, when we had our first child, put stair gates up etc. He is also grossly overweight (9 kilos) and on a strict diet but seems to eat elsewhere.

The episodes are just getting worse. We’re due to have our second baby in a matter of weeks and I know that will also set him off. I can’t cope with finding puddles of urine around anymore, especially as a couple of times my toddler has found them. And I can’t continue with it having to look after a newborn and a toddler. He Currently has another bladder stone and is therefore a ticking time bomb but I’ve done everything I possibly can to make his environment less stressful.

One of the recent trips to the vet resulted in the vet stating that he was extremely stressed all the time (which I don’t understand as he purrs, rolls over for tummy tickles, comes up for cuddles) and that her advice would be to have him put to sleep.

My husband and I constantly argue about it because he just wants to have him put to sleep but I love the cat and can’t bring myself to do it.

Please can anyone offer any advice or reassurance?

Thanks so much
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Chronic Cystitis

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I’ve heard of quite a few cats who have suffered with recurring cystitis and it can be a real pain to sort out. Personally, I’ve only had one female cat who had it a couple of times, and that was, we believe due to new cats in the area (she didn’t care for other cats at all). Hopefully someone will read this thread and have some advice for you. One thing I would say though is that I definitely wouldn’t pts, if it got to that stage I would contact rescues in your area and rehome, if it’s something at your place stressing your cat then the right home may help a lot. Was he ok before you had children? of so then a childfree home may help. I know it’s inevitable but your cat is probably picking up on the stress between you and your husband, which won’t help either. Hopefully you’ll be able to sort something out soon though, it may help to read through some of the threads on here, best of luck.
Sv0316
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sv0316 »

Janey wrote:Hi and welcome. I’ve heard of quite a few cats who have suffered with recurring cystitis and it can be a real pain to sort out. Personally, I’ve only had one female cat who had it a couple of times, and that was, we believe due to new cats in the area (she didn’t care for other cats at all). Hopefully someone will read this thread and have some advice for you. One thing I would say though is that I definitely wouldn’t pts, if it got to that stage I would contact rescues in your area and rehome, if it’s something at your place stressing your cat then the right home may help a lot. Was he ok before you had children? of so then a childfree home may help. Hopefully you’ll be able to sort something out soon though, it may help to read through some of the threads on here, best of luck.

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

This has been happening since he was a year old, before we had children so it’s not something that being in a new home will help. The vet advised that a change in home would be likely to put him under more stress and we would struggle to re-home because of the medical issues and the fact that they will be there for life. ☹️
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Sv0316 wrote:
Janey wrote:Hi and welcome. I’ve heard of quite a few cats who have suffered with recurring cystitis and it can be a real pain to sort out. Personally, I’ve only had one female cat who had it a couple of times, and that was, we believe due to new cats in the area (she didn’t care for other cats at all). Hopefully someone will read this thread and have some advice for you. One thing I would say though is that I definitely wouldn’t pts, if it got to that stage I would contact rescues in your area and rehome, if it’s something at your place stressing your cat then the right home may help a lot. Was he ok before you had children? of so then a childfree home may help. Hopefully you’ll be able to sort something out soon though, it may help to read through some of the threads on here, best of luck.

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

This has been happening since he was a year old, before we had children so it’s not something that being in a new home will help. The vet advised that a change in home would be likely to put him under more stress and we would struggle to re-home because of the medical issues and the fact that they will be there for life. ☹️
I’m afraid I would be changing my vet if they suggested pts to me.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

have you ever tried one of the supplements designed to strengthen the bladder lining? Cystophan, Cystease and more are readily available without prescription, and come in the form of a tasteless powder to add to food

my Tiffany used to get regular bouts of cystitis until I put her on these supplements - I kept her on them for 6 years and stopped them a couple of years ago when age had mellowed her
Sv0316
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sv0316 »

Kay wrote:have you ever tried one of the supplements designed to strengthen the bladder lining? Cystophan, Cystease and more are readily available without prescription, and come in the form of a tasteless powder to add to food

my Tiffany used to get regular bouts of cystitis until I put her on these supplements - I kept her on them for 6 years and stopped them a couple of years ago when age had mellowed her
Hi there

Yes he is currently on cystophan. He has one tablet every day, 2 at times of stress and has been on them every day for around 2 years. It doesn’t make a difference it seems.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I used to go up to 4 a day for a week when Tiffany actually had cystitis, then 3 a day for the next week, and down to 2 after that

it probably wouldn't make a difference, but might be worth trying