Tilly and the tail cyst

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Tilly and the tail cyst

Post by fjm »

I have just about got to grips with Pippin's hyperthroidism, then last night I found a pea sized lump near Tilly's tail. My first thought was that she had an abscess forming, but she was showing none of the usual signs of malaise that come with an abscess. Rather than wind myself up by Googling I made a vet appointment first thing this morning, and as I suspected it was a small cyst. He put a needle into it and fluid flooded out - always reassuring!

As she will be 15 in a few months it seemed a good time to get a baseline blood panel done - she took them by surprise by being sweetness and light right up until the moment she was restrained, when she swore loudly and objected vigorously! Her notes now say "minimum restraint" - apparently she was fine about having blood taken, it was the way she was held that annoyed her. Anyway, the vet said she is in excellent shape, and appears extremely healthy, with a decidedly determined personality...

What is everyone's experience with cysts? I am familiar with sebacious cysts, but less so with the subcutaneous type. I will be watching it, of course, and if it gets large or odd looking will get it removed, but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tilly and the tail cyst

Post by Kay »

my Trigger had several of these subcutaneous cysts - the biggest ones were on his back and the front of a foreleg - the vet never worried about them because they were softish and would move under the skin

they used to burst and emit a sort of sticky stuff but then come back again in the same place - they never bothered him
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Tilly and the tail cyst

Post by fjm »

Thanks Kay - sounds like another thing to keep an eye on, but not worry about. Rather a lot of those here, as we all get older!