Cat is a bully

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat is a bully

Post by bikergirl2842 »

My 7 year old neutered male cat Tyson is causing a lot of trouble at the moment and I don’t understand what is happening :(

As you can guess by his name he has always been the trouble maker, from when he was a kitten. One of his brothers also lives in the same road, a few doors down and they don’t get on and have always had fights. His brother is a ‘special needs’ cat, he was born with water on the brain and is one of the sweetest natured cats I’ve ever met. He will fight back though and so far it’s been pretty even.

These last few weeks the situation has completely escalated. He has bitten Mitsy so badly that he’s lost big chunks of fur with big holes (clearly bite marks) that have become infected and needed treatment only for a new set appearing within days! Mitsy hasn’t been going out much and Tyson is actively going after him to the point of trying to get into the neighbours’ house!! Tonight they were fighting again on Mitsy’s drive way, the neighbour chased Tyson off and got Mitsy in the house only to Tyson making his way into their garden to look for him!

Nothing at home has changed and his behaviour at home isn’t different either. He is fussy and happy and has also not had recent injuries to make him feel vulnerable outside. I just don’t understand what is happening.

I can’t make Tyson a full time indoor cat without making him very unhappy (and picking on my other much older female cat). I have suggested a going out schedule to the neighbour to try and avoid having them out at the same time but I know it’s going to be difficult for the neighbours to keep track of Mitsy at all times as they have three cats, three dogs and children, so there is a lot of running in and out etc.

Any ideas? Anybody ever come across a situation like this?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat is a bully

Post by Kay »

I assume Tyson has been 'done', but I wonder if it's possible he still has high testosterone levels? Might be worth giving your vet a call to see if it can be tested
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Yes, he was done, Kay. I can only imagine what he would be like as a tom cat! :o

Can testosterone levels change? The situation is definitely getting worse and he 7 next month. Can anything be done about high levels of testosterone?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

was he done after you had him? I have read that occasionally an undescended testicle can be left behind especially if the op is done by a rescue's vet, because sorting it can be complicated
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Yes, I had him from a kitten and he was done by my usual long trusted vet / hospital.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

You say that nothing has changed at your home, can you find out if anything has changed at the other cat's home. Also have you noticed a change in the general cat population of the area, if another dominant cat is no longer around it could be that Tyson is now trying to make his name as top cat in the area and Mitsy is unfortunately on the receiving end of it (or is possibly only one of several, but the only one you know about).

I would suggest getting a vet to check him over and making sure there is no physical reason that means he feels he has to be more preemptive in defending himself that is making him appear more aggressive. I would also suggest asking if a blood test to check hormone levels to make sure nothing has gone wrong somewhere.

The vet could also refer you to a cat behaviourist that might be able to help out.

As a final option in my opinion, hormone treatment could be used to help calm him down if there is a hormone problem, or even other medication to help control his aggression. I don't really like advocating medicating a cat for behavioural issues, but there might be an underlying medical reason for his behaviour that means he would benefit from treatment.
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Hmmm Ruth, that made me think off something. Tyson has a cyst in his stomach. It was found last year during routine check up when I took him in for his booster vaccination. He was sent to the hospital and had an ultrasound and biopsy. They decided that it wasn’t doing any harm and that it didn’t need treating.

You saying that about him not feeling well just made me wonder if it’s related to that. I will book in with the vet to get it checked. He is not behaving differently, as in eating normal, playing etc but as you say it might make him feel more defensive?

There have been no changes in the house of the other cat (we are friends) and no cat changes that I am aware of. I usually notice new animals in the road before new neighbours :)

For now we have them on a schedule to go out on alternative days and there’s a lot texting. “Is he in? Can we let ours out?” It’s a pain but at least Mitsy is finally healing up and enjoying going out again, even if he can’t go out all the time.