Cat Infected With Calicivirus Possibly Pregnant

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mitrayari
New Cat Chatter

Cat Infected With Calicivirus Possibly Pregnant

Post by mitrayari »

I adopted three cats from Russia 8 months ago. One male and two females. Unfortunately the male arrived infected with Calicivirus and the girls got infected as well. I neglected to spay and neuter them, a few days ago one of the girls went on heat and she might be pregnant. I was wondering if anyone knows how the kittens will get affected. I have heard that kittens will get sick badly from the virus. I greatly appreciate any information.
Thank you!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Infected With Calicivirus Possibly Pregnant

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome.

If your girl has stopped calling, then now is the time to get her spayed before any kittens begin to grow in the womb. It's quite safe to do this at this point. A vet check for the other two, and neutering, would be advisable too, especially if they're going among other cats. Your boy could have fathered kittens already and all three could have been spreading the infection. (Or is it that the boy has mated your girl? Whatever the set-up, I would advise neutering to prevent frustration and unwanted kittens.) Your vet will advise and be able to treat the cats. There are so many unwanted kittens being born anyway; you don't want to risk any being born with this sort of handicap; certainly there's every likelihood of them being calici, causing you a great deal of heartache and trips to the vet's, too.

All the very best with them, and good luck.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I agree with Lilith, if mum has calici, it would be cruel to allow her to have the kittens, and there is a good chance of issues during the pregnancy anyway. I would also recommend getting all 3 neutered, if you are struggling with costs, speak to Cats Protection.
mitrayari
New Cat Chatter

Post by mitrayari »

Thank you so much for your advise. I am getting the girl with no signs of Calicivirus tested and if she is positive, we will have to terminate her pregnancy. Getting the boy scheduled for neutering! Thanks again :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd neuter the girls first, males can still produce sperm for up to 8 weeks after neutering