Cat eye changes color, size and shape randomly

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
saren911
New Cat Chatter

Cat eye changes color, size and shape randomly

Post by saren911 »

Hi everyone, i am new here. I have a 3 month old cat, recently the right eye but also sometimes both eyes change color to a milky glassy white, it just happened overnight, sometimes it goes back to its normal yellow/black color, other times it changes, once it changed while she was staring at me, as if she was focusing her eyes on me. But it never happened before, is this some sort of puberty change? Or is she blinded? She can see where she walks and doesn't seem disoriented. As far I can tell there is no discomfort or infection in her eye. But there is definitely a change in her eye color. I live in the woods and there is not vet here. Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat eye changes color, size and shape randomly

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome. Do the eyes go completely opaque, as if there is a white skin over them? If so, this will be the 'third eyelid', also known as the 'haw' or nictitating membrane. If you're living in a rural area and the cats roam, it could well be that there are foreign bodies in the eyes which are causing irritation even though they're invisible; also this can happen when the cat is unwell; I think you really need to get her to a vet, no matter what, to get to the root cause of this.

Also, have you any photos? It can help people to advise you.

Good luck and please let us know how you go on :)
saren911
New Cat Chatter

Post by saren911 »

thank you lilith i live in the southern american rainforest, there is no facilities here, just a shop that sells cat food, etc..

The eyes go opaque, yes but its not white, rather milky bluish glasslike, like a mirror, and its hazy, and when both eyes change, one eye is more pronounced than the other (in its opaqueness). I live in a rural area and the cat only roams within a 10-20 meter radius of the house, and stays indoors with me overnight. During the day she is mostly stationary, she doesn't go far. She is young and doesn't hunt.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Wow. That's remote, I reckon. But you must be able to access medical care for yourself? Have transport? So isn't there some way to get it for the cat?

Please don't think I'm having a go at you; I'm not. And I'm sorry if I sound ignorant about the circumstances of where you're living; your cat is probably lucky to have a settled home at all in such a wild environment, but I do think she needs a vet by the sound, also for her other problems with fleas and what sounds to be the beginning of allergic eczema. I know it sounds daunting at first to get all this organised but the problems, once tackled, may be very easily sorted with the right meds. At the moment I feel you're worried sick and floundering, with no need, because you'll feel better once you get the right advice and professional treatment for her.

Again all the very very best, and please let us know how you go on :)
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think if the opaqueness comes and goes suddenly it is very probably the third eyelid you are seeing. It tends to show when cats are sleepy with half closed eyes, sliding across the eye from the inner corner. If you Google "cat third eyelid" and look at the images it may help you to identify whether that is what it is.

If you are in a very remote area it might be worth looking at online veterinary services, or perhaps mobile services that come round at intervals. Has your cat been spayed? In a very few months she will hit puberty, and then things are likely to get somewhat stressful if she has not been spayed! A trip to a vet, even at a distance, to get her spayed and vaccinated, and to get advice on preventing parasites and other problems would be very wise if you can possibly manage it.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Would there be any possibility of video calling a vet and having a consultation that way regarding all the problems. At least they would be able to see the cat on the screen if not in real life.