Pseudamonus middle ear infection with rods

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lizzyh
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Pseudamonus middle ear infection with rods

Post by lizzyh »

Hi, my dads cat has Pseudamonus middle ear infection with rods. She has had antibiotics both topically and oral. Ears are cleaned twice daily with flamazine. Left ear has started to bleed. She us booked for an x-ray next week to see extent of infection, possible op on the cards been quoted approx 2k. My dad is 85 and certainly doesnt have money to burn. Mogs is approx 3 years old, she was originally a stray. Dad has been battling this for just under a year. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any pearls of wisdom? Thank you.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Pseudamonus middle ear infection with rods

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. Sorry I have no experience of this condition, hopefully someone will see this who has. The only ear issue I’ve encountered was when I adopted a very old cat once who had a bent ear, which we were told was due to a previous haematoma, and the rescue’s vet had sewed the ear back, but as I say that was before we adopted her. It seems a lot of money for an operation though? I wonder if another vets may be cheaper - it might be worth ringing round to see. If you google the internet you may get some extra information that will help. Best of luck.

eta I’ve just had a quick google of the condition and it seems to be an ear infection, which is helped by cleansing, I suppose it depends how bad it is on the treatment. I think I would get another opinion from a different vet personally. Wishing you all the best.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Pseudamonus middle ear infection with rods

Post by Ruth B »

Unfortunately I haven't any experience of any thing quite that serious only ear mites and a milder ear infection. One of mine was recently on ear cleaning and antibiotic ear drops for a week after I noticed she was rubbing her ear a lot, but after a week she was given the all clear and there was never any bleeding. All I can say it to keep on cleaning them and making sure she has the antibiotics. Tests have obviously been done to determine what is causing the infection and I would assume the antibiotics are the right ones for the job, although it might be worth asking the vet if there are any others that might work.

Hopefully the antibiotics will start to work and clear it up and Mogs will be feeling better soon