Help problem with secretion!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Xhefi
New Cat Chatter

Help problem with secretion!!

Post by Xhefi »

My cat Jeff is 4 years old and about a year ago he had a urinary infection and and he couldn't pee. He spent about 2 weeks (February 2017) in the hospital and in the end got better but after some time home he started to sneeze and snot was coming out of his nostrils. we kinda ignored this thinking that it was because of dust since he was sniffing around a lot (looking for females - he was unneutered). about 4 months passed and the snot was coming and going until he continue to feel weak (OCTOBER 2017) (didnt move and eat regularly) so we took him to a vet that suggested that it was an old lung infection (pneumonia) and prescribed some antibiotic pills, and later some injections (VILFLOX) that lasted for about 2 months. Attached is the first x ray of the lungs. The cat looked better and there was little to no secretion. shortly he started sneezing again so we took him back to the vet who this time suggested that it might be an allergy and gave us some anti allergic pills. He excluded the possibility of infection. Again the cat felt good for some days and now its back to sneezing and secretion from his nose even though we keep giving the allergy pills prednizon. Attached is an actual picture from this morning to see the colour and amount of the secretion from the nose as it seems to me that it doesn't look like allergy. The secretion comes from both nostrils and sometimes it is redish, maybe because he sneezes a lot.

we have also changed the litter type, even to an expensive odorless one, as the doctor suggested that it might be an allergy from the litter, but it didn't affect at all.

Any similar condition or suggestion?

thank to all in advance!
Attachments
Secretion
Secretion
First X Ray
First X Ray
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help problem with secretion!!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I’ve had a few sniffly cats although most cats I adopt are over 10. What we were told is they’ve most likely had cat flu when they were younger and it tends to leave them like that. One of them was troubled a lot with the sniffly nose and was prescribed Bisolvon powder to keep the mucus thin. Just wondering is it both nostrils - I presume the vets have checked there’s nothing up the nose like a piece of grass irritating or anything? Also, candles, scents, aerosols and cleaning products can irritate some cats and people too. I’m not sure really what to to suggest other than go back to the vet and ask them investigate further. I wouldn’t want to be continually giving pills though e.g. for an allergy, if it’s not helping. Best of luck sorting it out and give Jeff a snuggle from me.