Cat hurt, HELP!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Andy_M
New Cat Chatter

Cat hurt, HELP!

Post by Andy_M »

My cat Mitzi has fallen from the top of a cupboard and knocked a few things over, I went to the kitchen to inspect what was going on (as you do), I watched her limp, fall over and roll her way across the kitchen floor, she won’t jump the baby gate we have to stop the dogs, but she can sit at peace and stand on it almost fine, she also produced 2 very low moans/growls, I don’t know what any of this means except that she’s hurt to some degree, can anyone help me figure out what’s wrong, I hope she’s not broken something
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat hurt, HELP!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. Poor Mitzi, she may have just landed badly and twisted something, but I would say that if she seems in pain better to get her checked out. Best of luck.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I'd make a vet appointment ASAP, and keep her confined in the meantime just in case. Could be a sprain, could be a fracture, could be a wrenched muscle - even if it is something comparatively minor she may need a painkiller prescribed. (Never use human painkillers on a cat - but I am sure I don't need to say that!)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Andy, Mitzi needs to see a vet. Cats can go very quiet when they are hurt or unwell (it's a survival thing). Get her checked out and give her a gentle fuss from me. They do do some daft things don't they?!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

As the others say get her vet checked to be on the safe side and some painkiller will probably help. However from your description I doubt she has done anything serious, if she can stand and weight bear when walking even if she is limping then it is probably just a strain. If she was totally holding it up then I would be more concerned.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

As the others said, vet visit to be on the safe side. The vet can also check her over for suitability for pain relief/anti inflammatories and prescribe as appropriate. And again, don't use "human" pain killers (specially not paracetamol which is toxic to cats).
Andy_M
New Cat Chatter

Post by Andy_M »

Mitzi unfortunately shattered her pelvis and won’t be able to move for months due to her age as can’t afford the £2000 surgery
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

OMG! Poor Mitzi, what are you going to do? PDSA? Loan? Crowd funding?
Andy_M
New Cat Chatter

Post by Andy_M »

Need to keep her caged for the next 2 months, as her pelvis will heal itself, but she won’t be allowed to travel around the house AT ALL. This is to ensure the best chances of full healing and a full restoration to her old movement abilities. We don’t qualify for PDSA and nobody has a good credit rating for a loan also the thing about crowd funding is you could get it and you could not so : P, all the surgery would have done is inserted a metal plate and she’d have been fine in a week
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Oh no, poor Mitzi, it amazes me that animals can even get up and try and walk with that type of injury.

While i hate the idea of caging her, I do have a friend whose cat had an hip problem and had to have cage rest for 6 to 8 weeks afterwards and coped with it fine, it was only a young cat as well. I wonder if they do realise that rest is the best thing and the cage is a safe place.

Fingers crossed she makes a full recovery as quickly as possible.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I hope all goes well for you and that Mitzi realises it's for her own good. They do adapt far better than we do. Bob got over losing a leg remarkably well and quite quickly.

I hope she makes a full recovery. Please stay in touch and let us know how she goes on.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Crate rest is manageable - the most difficult time comes when the cat begins to feel better but still needs to be confined. Stick with it - opening the door too soon can undo all the preceding weeks. Two months can seem like forever, but one week has passed already - by the time Spring has really sprung you can have her fit and well to enjoy it.

When Sophy, my papillon dog, was on crate rest for a slipped disc I put a small canvas crate on the bed so she could still sleep with me, and another bigger crate by my chair in the sitting room. Depending on how Mitzi feels, you may find positioning her crate somewhere where she can feel part of household activities and perhaps see outside as well, helps keep her from getting too bored. I would try and replicate the sort of happy anticipation a cat feels waiting for a mouse to come out of a hole - perhaps a treat dispenser on an intermittent schedule would keep her occupied, without encouraging her to jump around?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Poor Mitzi, good luck with the cage rest - if you can, get two cages together so she has a bit more space.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ohhh poor Mitzi :(

Good tip Booktigger, and everyone else too - reminded me of this thread -

https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/vie ... f=9&t=5353

It's a long thread as the cat, Sami, went missing after a rta and was found with his back legs broken ... you can imagine he had to be on crate rest for a long while and eventually lost one leg. There's a lot of very good advice re crate rest from people who know. (Congrats Sami, now enjoying life again and congrats his devoted owner.)

With all very best wishes to Mitzi and yourself - you will both get there.
Last edited by Lilith on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

So very sorry to read about poor little Mitzi. I have no other advice to add to what has already been said by others. Do hope alls well that ends well for you and Mitzi.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi poor Mitzi & like Lilith agree posts here offer sound advice. Keep us updated & needless to say lots of fusses to Mitzi. Does she have to be bandaged at all for stability re the pelvis? Vivian
bikergirl2842
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bikergirl2842 »

Poor Mitzi! I had to have my cat caged for a long time after an accident and having surgery for a complicated leg break. I only had a problem with him once he was of the opinion that he was well!

You could get him some catnip and/or valerian root (mine prefer valerian root) to keep him happy. I placed the cage by the patio door so he could look out (and get some fresh air) and also left the telly on for him when I went out.