New Rehomed 9 Year old Nervous Cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Pilly88
Returning Cat Chatter

New Rehomed 9 Year old Nervous Cat

Post by Pilly88 »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum, if this is the wrong place to place this question please say and i will put it in its correct place.

So i have recently rehomed a 9 year old short hair domestic cat, she is beautiful she is called Spice, I dont really like the name but she has had it for a while and its best to keep it, so basically when i got her home i put her down on the floor and opened the cage and she came straight out and wanted fusses after she had done she then went and sat on one of the dinning room chairs but everytime i went anywhere she would jump off and follow me, that night she just meowed downstairs untill i called her and then she came up onto the bed, she wouldnt eat her food unless i was in the kitchen next to her. But last night and this morning she was very wary of everything around her she found a spot last night on the top corner of the sofa and when ever she went to move she would slowly paw it before placing her little paw down. She stayed in that spot for a few hours always seemed on guard. Early in the morning she found her way up to the bed and she will only stay on the left hand side of the bed and wont come any further and keeps pawing the quilt and the blanket on the bed and jumping everytime she sees the quilt move or us move.

I am worried i am not doing something to make her feel loved and safe in the house, we do have two snakes and im feeling maybe she is picking up on them, they are securely behind glass and we have covered their cages up whilst she gets use to the house, Im wondering whether or not she will get use to them or is their something we can do to help her settle in?

This is an essay i know and i am sorry, little background i got her off a lady who owned 9 cats and the little ones she owned use to pick on her and just try and play with her but she use to just go and hide away and never come out out of fear she would get jumped on, she came from a lovely family it was just the cats trying to play with her scared her, I currently live in a 1 bedroom house and their isnt really any room where i can lock the snakes away at the moment so they have to be in the lounge.

Am i doing something wrong or will it take time for her to settle as i really want to give her a loving home it just breaks my heart when she meows and is scared to walk anywhere around the house, is this normal for a new re homed cat or is it me?

If you have read all of this thank you i appreciate your time.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New Rehomed 9 Year old Nervous Cat

Post by fjm »

Many cats hide away completely when first in a new place, so I think it is a good sign that she is in the open, and bonding to you so quickly. I would try to give her comfortable perches high up where she can watch the world while feeling safe - perhaps on a bookcase or on top of the fridge freezer - and then just give her time. I am sure the many people here with lots of experience of rehoming cats will be able to advise you more, but to me it sounds more like general nervousness at being in a new environment than that she is scared of the snakes.

You could try a Felliway diffuser to help her relax - I have heard mixed reviews, but I know some people find them helpful.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on welcoming little Spice into your home. I also prefer not to change a cat's name if I can help it, although they do tend to mutate over the years.

I think you are doing fine and she will settle in in her own time, some cats, particularly ones that haven't always had the perfect home can take weeks or months to really settle. One of mine, Freyja, spent the first few weeks at the back of a cupboard only venturing out to eat and use the litter tray, normally after we had left the room or were just sat very quietly. I knew she was nervous when I adopted her, so I just left her to it and she settled in in her own way, and while she isn't the cuddle cat that some are she is happy and that is what matters to me.

However the change in behaviour does make me wonder if something happened yesterday to make her more wary. I don't know anything about snakes, but did they have to be cleaned out so their scent is more prevalent in the room, could she have spotted another cat outside the window and suddenly is concerned it is going to come in and pick on her, even something like a window cleaner could cause her to be a bit worried. I used to have a cat that got really worked up when she lost her collar, so i always had to have a spare in the house to replace it as quickly as possible. You can't always know what goes on in their minds.

Give her plenty of fuss and attention when she wants it and let her have her own space and time to sort things out in her own mind when she wants that. She will get used to all the little quirks of the new home, but it might take time. Don't try and force her to do anything she doesn't want to unless it is for her own safety.

Give her a good fuss from me, and whatever you do to snakes to make them feel appreciated and wanted as well.
Pilly88
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pilly88 »

@FJM
Thank you for your reply I have brought her a very high play perch with about 4-5 different level hides which i am going to put up in the corner of the room that she likes in the lounge so hopefully she can feel the Queen of the house on her perch, I have heard mixed reviews about those Felliways and she is going to the vets tonight to have a check up and i was going to ask the vet what they thought about it. She is a lovely cat and not nervous when we are near her but as soon as we go out the room it seems like her world turns dark.

@RuthB
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I just call her princess and she seems to not mind it but my partner calls her spice so its win win for her really, I know it will take time it just pulls at my heart when she meows and is scared i just keep telling her everything is ok and giving her a fuss.

Yesterday evening she noticed our snake downstaires for the first time and she just sat on the sofa watching it, bear in mine my rehomed snake doesnt move a lot she just bask and i think this has frightened her as the first night she was with us my snake was in her hide so im wondering if she is shocked by it? Unfortunaly my snake is ill at the moment so we have to clean out her cage every day to help her get better but we always put Spice in her box and upstairs so she cant see the snake and they have no way of interacting. Our neighbourhood is silent like the grave but she did get panicky about the rain hitting the window last night but as soon as we touch her thats it shes puring and happy and anything but when we stop she back to guard up.

I am thinking what else i can get for her, i have a 4-5 teir tree in the lounge a bed in the lounge and a bed in the bed room and a scratching post downstairs, im just wondering what else i could get to make her fell comfortable, i am thinking that maybe she is on edge waiting to be attacked or played with by another cat?

I will give her a fuss for you and the snakes are pampered like royalty just like Spice will be they are all very much loved in the house we just want spice to have full rome of the house and for her to be the boss of the house and not be scared.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome - I can't improve on advice already given; Spice's behaviour sounds perfectly normal for a cat in a new home, and really quite confident considering her background, bless her.

I'd just like to add, I've always had cats, and since 2009, snakes, and the cats were thrilled with the snakes, fascinated. When my first royal python, Shahi, arrived, he would charge up and down in his vivarium, watching them as they watched him! So I don't think Spice is likely to be upset by the presence or scent of snakes. This is odd, I know, because I've often seen my cats be alarmed by the sight of say a belt on the floor, you know, the 'cat and cucumber' syndrome, said to be an atavistic fear of snakes, but real snakes, never.

I think it will just take time for Spice to get used to the household in general, snakes and all. Oh, and best wishes for your poorly snake - hope she's better soon x
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Sounds to me as if your cat has landed in the lap of luxury, and, knowing cats, it will not be long before she begins to trust her good fortune and exploit her willing subjects! You may find the "Rule of Threes" helpful: the first three days are completely overwhelming for the new cat; the first three weeks are a time of learning to trust, and becoming familiar with the routine - and possibly also expressing anxiety in more demanding ways; after three months the cat will usually have settled, and be herself.

https://wisconsinpetcare.com/adopting-f ... -learn-3s/
Pilly88
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pilly88 »

@lilith

Thank you for replying i appreciate the advice, I have a Royal that she has met on her first night but it is extremely rare that you see the Royal (Millie) all she does is hide but my Carpet Python (Nalah) is a very large snake and when she moves to bask she can be quiet scary so im wondering if it is because Spice 9 years old hasnt ever come across something like this in her life before and wonder if she is wary of it all?

Nalah is the ill one and i hope she gets better she was a rehome and was stuck in a pet shop for 2 years because nobody wanted a snake that wasnt a baby so its sad that she has got ill after 2 years of having her, but im hoping all the girl can have a happy life with me.

@fjm

Shes spoilt already and she is a character i just feel bad when she gets scared, i will give that a read now thank you for that.
Because she lived in a place with a lot of cats would it be advisable to maybe get her a rehome companion the same age so she has that extra support?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Good on you for taking on an older cat, she sounds like she is doing really well with how long she's been with you. I'm not sure I would get her a companion, sometimes when they have lived with other cats, they are happy to have all the attention. Regarding being scared of everything and walking round crying, this may never stop - I've had my Lucy over 2 years now, and she still does both - the other night, she watched me go to bed, then walked downstairs and proceeded to walk round the front room crying and you have to leave the door open when she is out, so she can race in at any noise that might bother her.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aah, I had an Irian Jaya carpet, and they're a lot livelier than royals. Beautiful snakes! (Sadly I had to part with my collection due to ill-health; I gave them to an exotic pet rescue because I couldn't have vetted homes properly, but I still have Shahi, bless him.) Poor Nalah, do hope she's better soon.

When I started with snakes I had an elderly ginger ex-feral tom (sadly missed) and I doubt if he'd ever seen a snake before. But they didn't bother him. The others were middleaged. There was some jealousy. Take a corn hatchling out for armchair walkies and I'd get Emily (avatar cat) plomping herself down on my lap ... I'd never confess this on a snake forum but a few times she sat there and snoozed while the hatchie climbed up on her back ... :shock: :lol: No casualties I might add but to anyone reading, please don't try this at home! But I do have to be careful about having Shahi out for duvet walkies because my middle cat, Mouse, who is almost 16, thinks he's a toy :o

Again all best wishes and I do think Spice sounds to be doing very well, please give her a fuss from me x
Pilly88
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Pilly88 »

@booktiger
Thank you, i really do like to help out where i can and i do like to rehome animals like my snake and now cat. Thank you for that advice it was just i had a call from a rehoming centre saying they had a 3 legged cat looking for a home can be suitable for other cats and it pulled my heart string but i didnt know how Spice would react and i thought if i was going to get her a friend the sooner the better so she can adjust all in once. Ah thats sad that Lucy is scared and crying bless her but i bet she is loved, i just want Spice to feel safe and secure and loved because she is and i want her to be the boss of the house.

@lilith
Nalah is 7 foot + i definatly wont be introducing them and millie the ball python hates me she is my partners snake and will only cuddle and feed for her so their is no worries of them meeting i just dont want Spice to be affraid of them, wary i can handle but i dont want Spice to not go to the kitchen because Nalah is next to the kitchen i want her to feel like she is the boss and does what she wants.

I will defiantly give them a fuss for you.
How many cats do you have?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I hope Lucy knows she is loved, she is definitely the boss of the house!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I have 3 cats :)

Royal pythons ARE reserved. Perhaps Millie will come round though. I bet Nalah is a beauty - when I used to get my carpet out it was a bit like bell-ringing; she wouldn't keep still! I had a 7' gopher snake too and boy was she a handful! In the wild they mimic rattlesnakes and she'd do all that stuff, hissing, tail rattling, striking. When she was a little nipper she arrived in a cricket box and took a pop at me before I'd even unpacked her. But five minutes handling and she'd climb into my t shirt and go to sleep, it was all show. Still miss her dreadfully but one of the guys from the rescue, his eyes lit up when he saw her, hope he took her.

I do think Spice will settle down and regard the snakes as part of the furniture :)
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Hi Pilly88, I rehomed a cat from RSPCA last October, she was/still is nervous, she lives upstairs from day 1, I have got 2 Feliway Classic diffusers, I find they have helped Bella a lot, she is much less nervous now, she does come down a little bit now, but it is usually to remind me it is food time.
I think your Spice sounds fine compared to my Bella, she must of had a bad life in her previous home, poor Spice.