Zylkene

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Zylkene

Post by emmab »

I am giving our little Gemo Zylkene for calming her down. We adopted a cat a few months ago and he bullies her a little. She won't go out and pretty much sits in one room now which is very sad. Anyhow I started her on Zylkene tablets which helped for a while but don't seem to be now. I was thinking the other day, would I be better putting th ebully cat on thr Zylkene rather than Gemo? They aren't cheap tablets. They were also on RC calm which may have helped a little as well as the Zylkene tablet but was proving incredibly costly indeed.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Zylkene

Post by lilynmitz »

It's usually better to address the behaviour of miscreant first, while providing a safe space for Gemo till he calms down. It's really hard seeing cats working out the new pecking order, particularly if one is losing out to the other, but hopefully they'll come to some sort of agreement soon. Meanwhile, give both of them plenty of one to one attention and reassurance, as they both sound pretty stressed.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

He was incredibly scared when we got him and whilst he is still very jumpy he has changed hugely but it is hard to know how to treat his behaviour. They are both fine eating together in the evening and both get excited about teatime but it is the rest of the time. No matter how much I tell him off for stalking her (just by raising my voice a little) he still does it.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-b ... aggression

Try having a look at some of the advice in this link, particularly on heirarchies.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks very useful. seems we are doing the right thing but as he has been in a rescue centre for so long it is difficult chnaging his ways.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Most of my rescue cats have continued to change subtley for years after I’ve brought them home. A few months is still very early days yet.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thank you. I hate seeing Gemo like it as she used to go outside. Now she stays in the same room and creeps around the rooms slowly just in case Diabolo pounces on her. This is with the Zylkene too so is quite bad. Horrible to see. I would love more and a dog but would be so stressful for her.