trying to train 2 rescue girls to use the cat flap

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Vixmac22
New Cat Chatter

trying to train 2 rescue girls to use the cat flap

Post by Vixmac22 »

Hello,

First post! I adopted my two gorgeous kittens in October. They stayed in for 3-4 months because they are v nervous cats with their background.

They are now curious about the outdoors and I am trying to train them to use it properly but doing it with 2 is a nightmare as they are at different stages!

Twix won’t push the flap with her head at all but goes through if I hold it open or if it’s propped open but prefers to wait for me to be coming in and out of the door and sneak past (limiting this as much as possible).

Shadow has just learnt to push it open herself going out but not going back in as of yet and I have to prop it open for her as she goes for a while before coming back so it’s hard to train her around that or leave it to see if it works for her (the longest they have stayed out is an hour or less).

The problem comes with proping open for different cats at different times and to ensure that they are both in when I close it. I’m trying not to confuse the cat who is learning too.

I’ve tried everything I can think of. They don’t like being picked up so would struggle being pushed through and I’ve used treats and toys and meal times. Any help welcome

Thank you for me, shadow and twix!
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: trying to train 2 rescue girls to use the cat flap

Post by lazarus »

misread post
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I wouldn't stress too much about it, if they are anything like mine, it won't take them long to figure it out.

My main problem is that one of my older cats, Purdy, can open the flap inwards and not just push it open (we have it fixed so the adults can come in but the kittens can't get out - we have to let them out first of course). Billy has been watching her and trying the same. I just don't want the kittens out yet. :?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Vixmac22 wrote:They don’t like being picked up so would struggle being pushed through
When I adopted an adult cat who didn't seem to understand about cat flaps, I started by opening it for him, so he learned it was a doorway. Then to get him to open it himself, I'd sit him in front of it, take hold of both his front paws, and use those to push the flap open. Fairly quickly he realised that where his paws could go, the rest could follow. A kitten who came later taught herself to use the flap and pushes it with her nose, but the older boy still uses a paw to start it opening. I don't know if this would work for your furbabies, but maybe it's worth a try.
Vixmac22
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vixmac22 »

Thank you I’ll give that a go. Shadow now knows she can come out but only if I’m the other side! Twix is still hating it but hopefully soon
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

When I have problems with cat flap training I have t sometimes put some good waterproof tape on the magnetic strip to make it easier to open also with newer cats you can try propping it open just sliightly so they can get in then let them out when they're hungry and putting tempting smelly food just on the inside its amazing how quick they learn to get a dish of warm roast chicken and as long as they learn the in way they will learn out at their own pace