Cat Insurance

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Cat Insurance

Post by lazarus »

Looking for a bit advice on cat insurance. Firstly I've never insured a animal before as last cat was over 30 years ago, I don't think insurance was as available then as it is today also the two kittens I have are non-pedigree types, moggies and cost £40.00 each, mother's owner was looking only for the cost of spaying mum cat hence the price.
I know the bit about selecting a lifetime insurance which is type of insurance I'm looking to get, the amount of cover I see for example on Animal Friends is £1000.00, £2000.00 or £4000, the first two are easily affordable for me but the £4000 cover would be a bit of a stretch bearing in mind I'm insuring two cats.

Would the £2000.00 cover be a acceptable amount?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Insurance

Post by alanc »

It really depends on how big a Vet bill you can afford to pay in the first 5-6 years of your cats life. Some major surgeries can cost £3-4,000 as I found out when my Tilly injured her leg. On the other hand, my previous cat Honey had pet insurance all her life and hardly ever called upon it - the money would have been better invested in a deposit account for her. However, Vet procedures do seem to be getting more complicated and expensive these days. I think £2,000 would normally be adequate.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

When doing home visits I always say the most you can afford but if you can £5k would be best. However, Animal Friends have a very bad reputation for paying out.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Didn't know that about Animal Friends, anyone know how Tesco is for paying out?
Their prices for the £4000 lifetime cover seems reasonable for two cats.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

We are through the post office...£2,000 and we have made a claim and they paid out without a word of complaint. Mind you, lets see what our premiums will be next year!!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my two are too old to insure but this website looks promising http://www.petinsurancereview.co.uk/

Vetsure get the highest ratings
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

I eventually took a chance on https://boughtbymany.com lifetime insurance, I know their new kids on the block so hopefully they turn out OK. I got a excellent deal on my two kittens for a lot less than all the long standing pet insurance companies £11.08 per month for both cats and cover up to £7000.

The test will be renewal time next year.