Both cats to vet - one has non recognition aggression

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Brillyr
New Cat Chatter

Both cats to vet - one has non recognition aggression

Post by Brillyr »

Hoping someone can help = a week ago I took both my 13 yr old female cats to the vet. They are litter mates and have spent entire lives together. Both have some health issues (Rosie - hyperthyroidism) and Maddie (kidney disease) . Since returning from the vet, Rosie doesn't recognize Maddie and is hissing. This is resulting in both being fearful/hiding/not eating. Even when separated, they both appear very anxious. It actually started in the exam room at vet - Rosie hissed at Maddie first there and it hasn't stopped.

I've tried rubbing feliway and the facial scent of both cats on a sock to re-introduce Maddie to Rosie but still no luck.

Everything I've read on non recognition aggression results from only one cat going to the vet. Has anyone had an issue like this and if so, what helped resolve it?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Both cats to vet - one has non recognition aggression

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome and sorry to hear of this problem.

I think the remedy is time. Please don't let it faze you, just talk to them, and carry on as normal and for the time being let them do what they want. Once memories fade and the vet smell wears off I think they'll come round; their routine's been disrupted and cats hate that, but old habits die hard and they'll get back to normal.

Fusses to them both and good luck - please let us know how you go on :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Hi, I agree with Lilith. You're basically doing the right things, but just try to act like everything is normal, give both cats lots of reassurance, keep to their old routines, and eventually they'll calm down again. They're silly blighters sometimes!
Brillyr
New Cat Chatter

Post by Brillyr »

Thank you both for your words of encouragement. It has been very stressful having to deal with this issue on top of learning how to administer subcutaneous fluids and administer pills! I appreciate your replies :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

You have my sympathy, medicating cats is never easy. Do your best to stay calm and normal through all this, it will help. Is it the cat that's being medicated the one who's playing up? If so, it may be redirected stress. Give her lots of attention and reassurance, (treats help too!) and that will help her calm down.
Brillyr
New Cat Chatter

Post by Brillyr »

The one who is acting up just started meds for hyperthyroidism. However, her odd behavior towards the other cat began before she started taking the pills. It actually started in the exam room - Rosie first hissed at Maddie then. So, I am starting to think it is less of a non-recognition aggression and more that she associates her sister cat with the traumatic experience of being hauled off to the vet. The aggression starts when she sees Maddie visually. Rosie is on high alert, only staying in areas where she has a view where she can see who is coming /going.

Still having hissing from Rosie and subsequent growling from Maddie:(

Thanks again!