New kittty

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
hylian_heart
New Cat Chatter

New kittty

Post by hylian_heart »

I just took a cat home from a shelter that's been in isolation for months (I work there) anyways.. He's been sick for MONTHS he is 13 years old. His nose is runny and he has a little bit of eye discharge.. sneezes, he eats normally he's active, talkative. He's a Bengal mix. I have 3 other cats and now I'm a little concerned i wasn't thinking when I took him home I just wanted him to get out of there he's in a separate room.. I dont have the money to get him til next week... He's felv tested vaccinated fvrcp vaccinations. Please some advice :((((
hylian_heart
New Cat Chatter

Re: New kittty

Post by hylian_heart »

Don't have the money to take him to a vet til next week* I meant
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Was he already snuffly when he came into rescue? Some cats that have an early bout of cat flu get those sort of symptoms on and off throughout their lives, especially when stressed. Was he not seen for it by a vet while he was in rescue?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Poor lad, no matter how good a charity is a room in someone's home is always going to be an improvement, so thank you for taking him home.

Obviously i would say to keep him separate until he has seen the vet and i'm sure you are already aware of general hygiene requirement need to help prevent any cross contamination. So as long as you are careful and your own cats are already vaccinated, I wouldn't have thought there was much to be overly concerned about.

The one thought I have had, is if there are no other symptoms like a high temperature or appearing unwell, could it be an allergic reaction, something akin to hayfever (hayfever isn't necessarily caused by hay or pollen, pollution, aerosols etc can all cause it).