Cat Blood and urine test results

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
TontoOz
New Cat Chatter

Cat Blood and urine test results

Post by TontoOz »

I took my 16 year old burmese cat to the vet for her annual F3 vaccination and asked them to do a blood and urine test as I had noticed she has been peeing more frequently in recent times.

At the vet's we were liaising with a vet nurse. The nurse reckoned that the cat has stage 3 kidney disease/failure.

At the following links are her test results:

https://imgur.com/a/Layxm
https://imgur.com/a/Rn84T

Questions:

Q1. Is this stage 3 kidney disease?

Q2. I know chronic kidney disease is fairly common in older cats but can she keep going with this or is it going to be a rapidly deterioriating situation?

Q3. What are MCHC, RDW, EOS, BASO, CREA, UREA and GLOB?

Q4. I asked the vet nurse how long might she have left. He said it is hard to tell but could range from 3 months to a year and half. I asked how she will deteriorate? He said she will be more lethargic and lie down and sleep a lot more. Are there any other signs to look out for?

The cat still drinks and pees and still eats but maybe eats less. She is still fairly active and does not have diarrahoea and isn't vomiting (yet). She has traditionally been on cat biscuits but I have now put her on wet food and she now eats in a separate room from our other cat. I sometimes squirt water in her mouth from a small syringe body for extra hydration. The vet nurse mentioned Ace inhibitors/Benazalpril but wanted us to get urine samples over three days for more tests. We are aware of side effects with these treatments and they are also expensive. So we have decided to keep her hydrated and on wet food but with no medication (although she has just had flea treatment – she has fleas as well, and had her F3 vaccination). If we see her suffering we will take her to the vet to have her euthanised. Hopefully we will have many more months with her before it comes to that. She is an indoors cat but is allowed in the backyard which is self-contained.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat Blood and urine test results

Post by booktigger »

I wouldn't say stage 3, I've seen cats with slightly higher values go back in normal range after a change to a renal diet, although the change to wet food will help, it might be easier to add water to her food rather than syringe her. No one can really say how long unfortunately. I only know Urea and Creatinine, which are the kidney factors, Glob is Globulin. Its also hard to say what symptoms you will notice, that also varies. It will be a rollercoaster unfortunately. If you search on here, I have recently posted a link to a website that is great for CKD, Tanya's site
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Here is the link to Tanya's site: http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

fjm wrote:Here is the link to Tanya's site: http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
Thanks
TontoOz
New Cat Chatter

Post by TontoOz »

booktigger wrote:I wouldn't say stage 3, I've seen cats with slightly higher values go back in normal range after a change to a renal diet, although the change to wet food will help, it might be easier to add water to her food rather than syringe her.
Great tip and thanks, I will try that. And also thanks for the link to Tanya's website.

One of the hardest things about all this is trying to get an idea of how things will progress and trying to work out at what condition and point in the future I will have to euthanase her. At the moment she is doing fine and other than peeing greater volumes than she used to you wouldn't know. She doesn't have mouth ulcers, nor diarrhoa, nor vomit etc.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I've been trying to read up on this so only got back to look at post replies on the forum just now.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately that varies from cat to cat, but you know her best and you will know when she is ready. I'm on my fourth CKD cat and everyone was different.
TontoOz
New Cat Chatter

Post by TontoOz »

booktigger wrote:Unfortunately that varies from cat to cat, but you know her best and you will know when she is ready. I'm on my fourth CKD cat and everyone was different.
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to post the "urine analysis and S.G.". Evidently it was a cysto sample they took after we left the cat at the vet's for the afternoon. Here they urine test results, such as they are:

https://imgur.com/a/cmG4k

I went back to the vet today to get a copy of the urine test results. The lady in the vet reception typed up the results from the notes of whoever took the cysto (needle?) sample. I presume that was because the procedure for doing this is different than using the machine for the blood tests.

Do you know what the urine results mean?

I recall that towards the end of our conversation at our previous visit the Vet nurse wanted us to collect 3 urine samples over 3 days. We haven't done that. I am wondering whether to get a different Vet to run some tests.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm not as good on urine tests as blood tests, but think they are saying certain things are negative, am sure they use +ve for positive. USG is low normal, can't remember if that is a good thing or not unfortunately, its a couple of years since I last had to translate them.
TontoOz
New Cat Chatter

Post by TontoOz »

We were given the details of a local Vet we hadn't tried yet, so yesterday we took the cat to the "new" vet to discuss the other Vet's (Vet Nurse) blood test results. The outcome of that visit is that the cat was given:

Anadiol Depot injection 0.3 (for the anaemia)
- Anabolic steroid. Minimal virilising activity; suitable for use in animals whenever an anabolic is required, whether for muscle building, tissue repair, healing of fractures or combatting the wasting effects of corticosteroids or anaemia.

Convenia 0.3 (of 10ml) injection
- Antibiotic treatment for UTI.

Semintra (a syrup administered orally by me via syringe according to her body weight once a day – I gave the first dose last night)
- Specifically for cats, helps to reduce the amount of protein lost in the cat’s urine. Losing too much protein in the urine is associated with a shorter life expectancy in cats suffering from chronic kidney disease.

This is a better Vet outcome.

Someone said to me that the time to tell when to euthanise her is when she gets bad breath and especially if/ as soon as she becomes more or less immobile. Does that make sense?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Hmm, interesting choice of meds. I thought her urine sample showed negative for protein, in which case semintra isn't needed. Convenia isn't a good choice for UTI's and can increase kidney issues.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

TontoOz wrote:Someone said to me that the time to tell when to euthanise her is when she gets bad breath and especially if/ as soon as she becomes more or less immobile. Does that make sense?
I have an elderly girl with ckd who has chronic bad breath - and she's bright as a button, eating and drinking well and not ready to go yet. The vet said her teeth 'might' need cleaning - in my experience if a dental is needed they urge you to do it asap, so it looks like the breath is down to her kidneys. If she becomes in any way listless and stops eating, in my experience that is when to call on the vet, fast. While she's still a little 'mewsance' and playing 'velcro cat', then she's got some time with me yet.

All the best and big fusses to your girl x