Drooling cat with tongue out sneezing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Drooling cat with tongue out sneezing

Post by melshop »

Wondered if anyone has had anything similar with their cats.

About 10 days ago Tabby started sneezing, he then started to sleep under the bed, which he does in the winter, so was not too worried. He then started to drool on the left side of the mouth and stick his tongue out, and his lip moves up on that side and quivers. The vet has done full bloodwork, all normal, he is also hyperthroid but sucessfuly treated for that. The vet suggested he could have grass caught in his throat or nose as to why he is sneezing.

They have checked his teeth, and dont think it is that, but as of this weekend when we took him in they have given us painkillers and antibiotics just incase it is something dental they cant see.

The worrying thing is that he is just not himself, I am able to give him tablets into his mouth without loosing a hand, he has gone all placid on me. He is now permenantly under the bed, unless he wants food or the loo, and he is not eating as much and has lost weight.

No one has suggested oral cancer, but I am now worried as he does have some of the symptoms, it is horrible seeing him like this as he is normally a very healthy 15 year old cat. He has only been on the antibiotcs since Saturday AM, so will give them more of a chance to work, but it is so horrible seeing him like this not knowing whats wrong.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Drooling cat with tongue out sneezing

Post by Kay »

it sounds to me as if he needs a general anaesthetic so his mouth nose and throat can be properly examined

I must admit I get a bit cross with the way vets dish out abs even when there is no evidence of an infection instead of doing a full examination
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

People seem to put a lot of emphasis on bloodworm and very often its an almost pointless excersise a sick cat test within normal range one day and serious organ failure the next I would go for another opinion and probably x ray of the face before he gets too I'll and weak and you loose him anyway
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by melshop »

I think he is going to have to have an X-ray and a full exam of his nose and throat, I will be calling the vets tomorrow morning to arrange it, if the antibiotics were doing anything, I think I would have seen some sort of improvement by now.

Thanks for the offer of help LAR. I will contact you if nothing comes up after they check out his nose and mouth.

Mel
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by melshop »

I got terrible news today, after they did an x-ray and full examination of him, they think he has a brain tumor, and it's pressing on a nerve, causing all the problems, we also found out he cant blink his left eye and will need eye drops 4 times a day. It has all happened so fast it is a terrible shock.

We were offered a referral for an MRI, but decided that due to his age (almost 16) and the fact that the results could then put him through more surgery/general anaesthetic with no promise of a good outcome, I have taken him home, and will be giving him steroids until I think the time is right to put him to sleep. They say these should perk him up.

I am totally heartbroken, but will be making his last days/weeks happy, unfortunately we have no idea if the steroids will work and how long he will be with us.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear that, I do hope the steroids buy him some quality time, I think you did the right thing about the MRI
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor chap, and poor you too.

Steroids, in my experience, are a 'quick fix', but every cat's different and if they give him some relief no harm in using them. A couple of mine had to be on them about 30 years ago and the steroids seemed to perk them up temporarily, but then the cats were just tranquil and dozy, and slept the last of their lives away ... could have been worse, far worse. I totally agree with the palliative care and hope he has some comfortable time left with you.

Fusses to him and love and hugs, Lil x