Dental fees

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Dental fees

Post by Cassie5791 »

Hi everyone,

Which just took maple for her vaccinations add first vet check. We got her last week from a rescue centre. She needs some teeth looking at. Unfortunately it won't be covered by insurance as we just got her and I'm guessing they'll say it's preexisting. :( We were given a guide price of 150-400 depending on if she just needs teeth cleaning or if teeth need taking out.

We were just wondering if anyone has any idea of how much painkillers and antibiotics might cost if she does have teeth out?

Thanks in advance

Cassie
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Dental fees

Post by Lilith »

Hi Cassie, I think the cost of painkillers/abs will be included in the bill, and it might be impossible to know that until the dental is over and they know what they've found. The vet would give you an itemised bill.

People on here who do rescue will know more though - hope you get more advice soon.

Dental bills are nearly always pretty expensive. Still the cost quoted (is that in ££s?) sounds pretty reasonable. I'm surprised though that the rescue centre didn't get her checked out in this respect but of course it depends from charity to charity.

All the best and fusses to her :)
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is in pounds. Its hard isn't it as they can't fully know the cost until she's under anaesthetic and thety can look.
We have contacted the rescue centre just to see if it came up on any checks as this may affect the months free insurance from them.

If the medications are including it isn't so bad. Just have to cross our fingers it is just a clean she needs. Do other people brush cat's teeth or how do they look after teeth?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha - all these website that tell you to brush a cat's teeth. I wouldn't dare!

A friendly vet once taught me how to chip plaque off a dog's front teeth with my thumbnail, depends on the dog, but a thumbnail's a lot gentler than surgical steel and a vet visit, but as for tackling a cat with toothpaste and brush?

No way, Jose :o
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I think the price you been given is good although its been a few years since I had to pay out I'm going to be finding out again soon, one of mine needs work doing.

Last time I think it was about £350ish, but included an overnight stay before hand (easier than than trying to starve one of two cats, and getting him in in the morning would have meant my OH taking a morning off work), all the dental work including half the back teeth extracted, all the medication and an aftercare check up.

Saturn is having problems with one of his upper canines and that will have to come out sometime in the next few months, he's been to see the vet already as it is hanging over his lower lip and there is a grinding sound when he closes his mouth sometimes. Hes not in pain and it isn't giving him problems and is still firm in the socket so the vet advised leaving a bit longer. He does suffer from Calicivirus so we knew there would be problems with his teeth, he's only about 4 years old. I have also been advised not to try and clean his teeth as it could cause more damage to the gums.

Like Lilith, I have never tried to brush a cat's teeth, but if it would have delayed Saturn losing his teeth early on then I was willing to try. All of mine have been adopted as adults and I do think it is something that really need to be started as a kitten.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I was in this position with Bella, I got her from RSPCA, I took her to my own vet for her second vacs, vet did a health check & said she was in good health but needed dental work & it would cost me £500 plus, so I complained to the rescues & they did it for free but I did give a donation.........worth a try, not really fair to land you with such a high vet bill so soon after rescuing her.

Marg.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

It's hard when the rescues are charities though isn't it. Just surprised their checks didn't show it up to at least warn us
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

10 or 12 years ago, the middle-aged cat I had then needed a number of teeth out under general anaesthetic. I think it cost about £200. He had been fed mainly on wet food. My vet advised feeding him on a dental-care dry food, with big kibbles which would clean his teeth as he crunched them. I tried this, but over the course of several months he had two bouts of distressing cystitis, which I think was caused because he drank very little, and now he wasn't getting water from his food. I switched him back to wet food. I told the vet that if necessary I'd have all his teeth taken out, because he could live without teeth, but he had to be able to pee. She agreed with me.

Another cat I had at the time lived mainly on the dental kibbles, which she liked very much, and she had no urinary probems, but then she drank water. Her teeth were very clean, but they started falling out when she was 5, and by the time she was 10 she had none left. I don't know if it was her diet or her genetics - she came from what could almost be called a cat-hoarder home, and might have inherited problems. Being toothless didn't bother her, and she could still gum-crunch the kibbles.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Mine have always hunted, which seems to have kept their teeth and gums healthy so far - the occasional raw chicken wing substitutes when hunting becomes impossible. I home cook for them, which means no sugars or carbohydrates - I have always suspected those don't do teeth any good.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Cassie5791 wrote:Do other people brush cat's teeth or how do they look after teeth?
Lilith wrote:Ha - all these website that tell you to brush a cat's teeth. I wouldn't dare!

A friendly vet once taught me how to chip plaque off a dog's front teeth with my thumbnail, depends on the dog, but a thumbnail's a lot gentler than surgical steel and a vet visit, but as for tackling a cat with toothpaste and brush?

No way, Jose :o
I used to brush my Lola's teeth with toothbrush and gel every night.
The vets where she was operated in July 2016 adviced me to do that in the attempt to relieve her from her gingivitis... unfortunately it was a gingivitis... :(
Anyway she let me do that without troubles. I had bought a tiny toothbrush that would fit her tiny mouth easily. It was a pleasant experience.

I would never do the same thing with Pallina, though :lol:
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your responses. Maple had 6 teeth out for £200, everything included today. Since then she has wolfed down any food put in front of her at lightning speed so she doesn't seem too phased!

Either she is really hungry after being denied food for half a day for a aesthetic or her teeth were putting her off eating before.