Cost of antibiotics /painkillers

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cost of antibiotics /painkillers

Post by Cassie5791 »

Hi everyonez

Really appreciating all of your help at the moment. A vet has just quoted £150 to descale our cat's teeth and extract any needed. Medication is on top. As the price seems so good, I'm wondering if anyone had an idea of how much painkillers/antibiotics if needed are likely to set us back.

Thanks in advance,

Cassie
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cost of antibiotics /painkillers

Post by booktigger »

Unfortunately it varies from vet to vet, I'd ask them how much a bottle of metacam and a week course of abs is likely to cost- not all vets use abs after dentals
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my Tosker recently had 8 teeth out, and was only given a single slow release ab, as even the vet had to agree he is impossible to pill

the total cost, which included injections of anti-inflammatories into each empty socket, and a chest xray, came to less than £170, so I doubt you will find the medication extras extortionate
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my Tosker recently had 8 teeth out, and was only given a single slow release ab, as even the vet had to agree he is impossible to pill

the total cost, which included injections of anti-inflammatories into each empty socket, and a chest xray, came to less than £170, so I doubt you will find the medication extras extortionate
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Metacam for Pippin is around £16, enough for 4 weeks or so. ABs, as I recall, have been around £20-30 for the long lasting injection. Prices vary from one vet to another, so it may be worth asking.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

Brilliant. Thank you all!