Cannibas Oil and Cats with Cancer

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Cannibas Oil and Cats with Cancer

Post by AndyMac »

I read the following article today concerning a cat with a cancer growth on its paw. Its owner put 5 drops of cannibas oil in its food and the turmour shrunk:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... s-oil.html

My cat has been diagnosed with stomach cancer and was hoping to purchase cannibas oil tomorrow in Holland & Barrett to try and see if this would work or at least help my puss in some way.

Anyone else read or heard of using cannibas oil on pets ??
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cannibas Oil and Cats with Cancer

Post by bobbys girl »

I am no expert in the matter, but my OH uses cbd oil and finds it very useful for pain management (chronic back pain).

There is a lot of advice on t'interweb about it's use in cats - in the main very positive. I saw a documentary recently about the increase in cancer in cats and dogs (same reasons as us - bad diet, toxic environment) and cbd oil was mentioned, but I don't think it played a main role in treatment.

I doubt you vet would approve - like doctors, most go by what the drugs rep tells them and there is no money in cbd for big pharma.

I would not buy from Holland and Barrett their brand is diluted. Independent wholefood shops are carrying it now. Celtic Winds is the brand OH uses.

Do your research, there is plenty out there, and use your head.

All good wishes for you and your cat.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hey Andy, very sorry to hear :(

I've heard of excellent results in humans. A friend buys theirs from here - http://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/shop/

Cheaper and stronger they say.

All the very best and hope you get some guidance around using it with a cat.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Andy, very sorry to hear :(

I've heard of excellent results in humans. A friend buys theirs from here - http://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/shop/

Cheaper and stronger they say.

All the very best and hope you get some guidance around using it with a cat.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So sorry for your cat AndyMac. I have heard of excellent results about a friend of a friend in America, not sure what form it was taken in though. I haven’t heard of any uses with pets but I’ve just googled ‘CBD for pets’ (which is what I would use personally, if I was to try one as it might be made in the right proportions for small animals), and there are lots of websites - may be worth a try if you do your homework. Wishing your cat all the best, give her a snuggle from me.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks - I got some today from an independant retailer - I put 5 drops on her food and she would not eat it but she did have a few mouthfulls later. The vendor did say there is a slight aroma from the oil so maybe Jet was put of by its odour.

I might even try it myself for my constant back pain.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Hope it works - for both of you!
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

bobbys girl wrote:Hope it works - for both of you!
Thanks but I think the cancer has taken hold and there is not much that can be done with her - she perked up yesterday but last night I noticed her breathing was very heavy and she would cry now and then. She is sleeping on a sleeping bag in the bedroom so I slept on the floor beside her but had to go to bed about 03.30 as my back was aching. This morning she would not leave the bedroom she is just sitting staring at the floor. I took her some diced chicken breast and she ate that while I sat with her. I had her at the vet on Monday who gave her 4 injections. The vet did say if she stops eating for at least 2 days then I have to decide to put her to sleep. The vet did say the cancer she has Jet would not die in her sleep so I will have to decide when the time is right to let her go. She does not seem to be in pain and is alert.

Hated leaving her to come to work but have taken a half day this afternoon to be with her.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Been through all that with a dog and know what it's like. Thinking about you.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Aww bless her, I do feel for you it’s very difficult time. Does she like Gourmet pates? my oldies love those.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww Andy, so sorry to hear. Hugs to the both of you x
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Andy thinking of you & Jet... we have great difficulty here re any type of cannabis product ..give Jet heaps of ear rubs from Vivian & the Famous Five from Oz who are sending Jet lots of purrs.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I'd heard that, Vivian. It's odd that Oz authorities are anti ANY cannabis products but pro mandatory vaccinations, whatever the circumstances. The power of big pharma or what?! :x
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks for the support - I had decided this morning to take her to the vet to be put to sleep as she was not showing any interest in eating and she seemed cold to touch. I took her downstairs to see if she wanted to go out to the toilet but she opted for the litter tray. I put some prawns in front of her but she decided she didnt want them.

I phoned the vet to arrange the appointment and whilst on the phone she started eating so I am still taking her to the vet at lunchtime to hopefully get more injections. I am concerned about the heavy breathing but she has eaten more again this morning. I know she has not got long left and dont want to drag her suffering out any longer than what is needed but she is alert and still want to give her a chance as she does not seem to be in pain. I have slept on the floor beside her as she has opted to lay on a sleeping bag for the past few nights just to be with her and hopefully she is more settled hearing my breathing/snoring beside her.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

I had Jet at the vet earlier and she got another steriod injection - it looks like she has a few days left before I have to decide to have her put-to-sleep. The breathing is due to a build up of fluid on her lungs. I got her home and she had a walk around the front garden and I lifted her up the stairs and she ate some more prawns. I had to go back to work but hoping she will have a sleep and should be back home to her for 16.30. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and will be away for 9 hours but hopefully my neighbour will call in on her to check how she is doing.

I chatted to the vet about the options available for later - they can either inject into the vein which will have a quick reaction or I can go for a sedative to put her to sleep and she will then get an injection which should be about 10 mins to take effect. I intend to get her ashes as she has been with me 14 years and would be difficult to cut her out of my life.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Just to say I made the decision to have Jet put to sleep earlier. When I got home from work I couldn't watch her being in the situation of panting to get a breath and she looked so uncomfortable. I couldn't bear leaving her alone tomorrow and knew she wasn't getting any better. The vet was very understanding and let me spend time with her alone while she drifted off.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, RIP little one
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear that Andy. RIP sweet Jet.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So very sorry to hear. You must be in shock but you had her best interests at heart. Sleep tight little Jet.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks again for the support - I couldnt watch her any longer panting to get a breath and being uncomfortable and crying. I phoned the vet and they told me to take her over straight away as the vet who had seen her earlier had just finished her shift but she would stay on until I arrived. When I went up the stairs to get Jet she was not on the sleeping bag but she had went into the back bedroom and was hiding under the bed as if she knew something was going on. Even when I was putting her into her carry case she put up a fight and was trying to get back out again and felt so guilty and was tempted to phone the vet to say maybe a few more days but deep down I knew I had to take her this evening.

I have to say the vet was great and she let me have time alone with Jet and she wrapped her in a blanket and let me hold her when she give Jet the sedative. When she was starting to drift off the vet came back and we put her on the counter so she could give her the injection. Again the vet let me have some time alone with her and I just kissed her forehead and scratched her ears and told her how much I loved her through the tears while she drifted off.

I have a ribbon she played with and am holding it as a security blanket - the house feels so empty without her. I am heartbroken to loose her. I will hopefully donate all the food to cats protection in Belfast and a work colleague will be making me a memorial slate just have to get a photo of her but being a black cat she was hard to photograph but do have plenty taken over the years. I have arranged to have her cremated and will hopefully get Jet's ashes next week.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Andy tears are pooling.. your words really communicate how much Jet meant to you. RIP little Jet you were & always will be loved so much. Thinking of you Andy. Vivian.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Aww I’m so sorry to read this :(
God bless little Jet xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

When I lost my Tess, eleven years ago, I wore her collar as a bracelet for weeks. It helped. Thinking about you.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

@AndyMac, I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is nad how cold and empty the house feels like :(
Rip Jet, you're free from pain now...