Kidney Problems and Prednisone

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Liz554
New Cat Chatter

Kidney Problems and Prednisone

Post by Liz554 »

My cat has been taking a very low dose of prednisone steriod for about two years now. He was getting a lot of pain and problems in one ear after an op. The vets think it was related to scar tissue. Anyway we've got the dose down really low and hes been really happy with no symptoms for about 18 months.

He recently started drinking lots and after tests hes been diagnosed with a kidney problem. One test showed protein in his urine, but it was only boarder-line of normal and abnormal levels. Obviously I want to do everything I can to halt or reverse this.

The vet says my cat should now stop taking prednisone completely. I tried this for two weeks and he started to get early symptoms of the old pain issue again - shaking and rubbing his head and being clumsy. He really wasnt happy so I have started him back on them for now, and will discuss it with the vet at the next appointment. Has any one got any experience with this? I don't want to trade one health problem in with another.

Thanks in advance for any responses. He also hates the CKD food - Im getting a bit desperate!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kidney Problems and Prednisone

Post by booktigger »

How old is he? I suspect the vets want the meds stopped in case it reverses his kidney issues. Could you get a second opinion on his ear in case there is something else they can do for that?