Toby’s (ahem) lipstick

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Toby’s (ahem) lipstick

Post by lilynmitz »

Sorry about the ewwww factor in this, but my new little puss, now named Toby, has a little personal issue that I’ve not seen before. He’s about 11 Months old, neutered around weeks ago. Apparently he pulled the stitches out and had to have them redone, and it’s all healed up fine. Anyway, I brought him home 4 days ago, and have noticed his penis pops up every now and then, and he gives it a good lick for a few seconds and it goes again. No humping behaviour noted. He’s peeing ok (twice a day, in his tray) with no obvious distress, so I don’t think it’s a UTI, but will keep an eye out for that. But does anyone have any idea what this could be, and whether I need to be concerned?

Also, how long does it take for his hormone levels to run down after neutering? I was just wondering if this might be one of the things about this utterly sweet friendly and non-threatening cat that’s freaking out Elsie! And also whether this might be the cause of his lipstick popping up!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Toby’s (ahem) lipstick

Post by Lilith »

Lol, bless him! Manly pride! :lol:

I'm not sure about hormone levels; I suspect it varies from cat to cat, but I understand they can linger; a boy can remain fertile for a while after neutering.

I did once have a boy, neutered as a kitten, who as an adult used to get an erection and try to hump my hair, randy little sod, and another, also neutered as a kitten, who could mate, properly, my first Siamese who came into call too young for breeding ... kept her quiet.

But I've often seen neutered boys washing and bringing out the old courting tackle; I thought it was just part of their hygiene.

I don't think it ought to freak Elsie out ... sounds like she's going to have to get used to the sight :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Courting tackle :lol: :lol: :lol: . Ok, I’ll stop worrying. It was a bit of a surprise though. Elise hasn’t got near enough to see this little display, I think she’s just objecting to him in principle. I feel like a cross between an emotional therapist and a boxing referee!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

My boy cat Badger sometimes brought his tackle out many years after he was neutered.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Just an update, this stopped happening after about 4 days, so I suspect it was a stress/comforting issue (gross as that sounds) in the first few days after rehoming him. His litter tray habits showed no problem and he's in full and fine fettle now.