Heart failure

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
End of tether
Returning Cat Chatter

Heart failure

Post by End of tether »

My 10 year old boy has recently been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He's on diuretics and simentra to open his blood vessels so his heart doesn't have to work so hard. These are helping him, in that his heart isn't beating as fast, but is still irregular, and there isn't as much fluid on his lungs.

Obviously with this condition there is no knowing how long I have left with my baby, but I was wondering if anyone could let me know what I can expect from the next period of time? Also, if anyone else's cat developed a habit of not eating for a couple of days and then eating for a couple, before going back to not eating? This causes a minor problem as his diuretic is in liquid form and goes in his food!

Thanks for any help
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Heart failure

Post by Kay »

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies, and sorry too about your boy

have a read of this thread to see if it helps https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/vie ... ive#p26145

and do try the Yahoo group, where you will find a lot more people that have dealt with this condition
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Heart failure

Post by JulieJulie »

Hello, sorry I haven't been around here in a while, hope you are still here?
I had a cat who development HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - I think.) She went on to live a happy full live for 5 years so please don't despair.
I was send home with her to have palliative care but she had the best love and cae.
The only think I would say is be really careful with the diuretics that she is getting plenty of fluids in her food, as this can cause dehydration which may lead to cystitus.
I find that they are more inclined towards wet food if it's something tasty (expensive!) such as gourmet pates or FELIX GAIL etc. And before anyone tells me they aren't the best nutritionally - well, well I have a sick cat with limited life expectancy they can have whatever they enjoy as treats or to get them to eat. (I kept one alive on 10 days for dreamies once until she recovered.)

Also, your cat needs to be kept stress free, we had to cut play on the overactive play games she loved and I tried to encourage her towards a more sedate lifestyle (with limited success...)

Please also be careful what other meds she has, as many will not be recommended for cats with a poorly heart. I would try to avoid injections and go for tablets, but obvioulsy your vet will advise.

I used to measure my cats breathing regularly too, and keep a chart so I could keep an eye that it was within normal levels as this is an indication of the fluid in the lungs.

Regarding the meds, try to get the diuretic to the lowest dose that will control the condition (same theory for any meds, good advise from my vet.)
I found a syring in the side of her mouth was accepted well, it's obviously not a nasty tasting med. I always used to give her a treat afterwards. She would eventually see me coming with the syringe and sort of snarl her lip ready at the side, then wait whilst I got her treat!!

A much loved wonderful cat she was. I hope your baby will be with you for a long time.