Cat put down answers please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
thehitpack
New Cat Chatter

Cat put down answers please

Post by thehitpack »

I had to get my cat put down today very sad.

He had an infestation of fleas for around 2 months which were not treated whilst he was being looked after by a family member.

The doctors informed me his red blood cell count was 7% and he was unable to eat and hardly breathing.

When I visited him they said the most humane thing was to put him down which they did.
While I was there I thought I saw life in his eyes even though he was unconscious, I asked about blood transfusions and they said the closest place away was 70 miles in another city and he was unlikely to make it.

He woke up while I was there and let out a horrible wail. I then left and he was put down.

I have a few questions...

Was there any chance to save him at that point by any means and would a blood transfusion have helped?

Thanks in advance
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat put down answers please

Post by Lilith »

Hi and very sorry to read of this.

I can't answer your medical questions (although there'll be other members who can) but I can say (after a lifetime of cats) that I've had cats who have died at home and have gone into a coma before death - once I woke up with one of my boys in bed with me and comatose. Their eyes have been open but they've been unconscious although like you I once did see a gleam in one girl's eyes just before she died.

This is awful for the owner but truly it's peaceful for the cat, and that's what we all want for them. I'd much rather they went out gradually like this than having to make that last dreadful journey to the vet's - but of course your boy did, I know,

I've also heard a cat on the point of death let out that howl, and this, I'm told by a vet nurse, is natural; in fact it is air leaving the cat's body, travelling over the vocal cords, and the sound is involuntary. I don't want to distress you further but a corpse can make the same noise as air leaves the body, and this makes me think your boy could well have been at the point of death anyway.

Truly I don't think your boy could have been aware of anything - it is you who's had to suffer the distress.

Again I'm so very sorry x
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

A red blood cell count of 7% is very very low and he would I am afraid barely be alive the trauma of a journey or treatment where he was if it was available would very likely have been too much for his body to stand you made the kindest choice in my opinion I would have had to do the same as hard as it is to do sometimes their is no other choice to stop them suffering
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry you have lost your cat to such an awful situation, but I think the vets were right about him not being able to pull through. RIP little one
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

So sorry for the loss of your lovely boy. If I were you I would have a chat with your vet if you need to talk, I’ve done this before when I’ve wanted answers after losing my cat. It’s clear that you loved him loads and did the best you could. Thinking of you, and god bless your little lad xx
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hello sorry to read your post. Rest assured you’ll receive heaps of support here as you work through your grief. RIP little un & enjoy the Bridge. Vivian