New Kitten's eyes open, now what?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ZoniBill
New Cat Chatter

New Kitten's eyes open, now what?

Post by ZoniBill »

Relatively new cat owner. When my cat was pregnant I placed a couple of bedding boxes strategically around my house to avoid any nasty surprises. I showed them to her and noted that she checked them out on her own a couple of times. It worked! She had her kittens in the bedding box in my bedroom closet and they are beautiful!

The dark closet seemed to be a great place for Mommy to feel safe. Now that the kittens eyes are open should I move the box out into the light so that the kittens eyes develop or is this even a concern?

Thanks!

Bill in AZ
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New Kitten's eyes open, now what?

Post by Lilith »

Hi Bill and welcome :)

Congrats to Mama cat on the birth, and no, at this stage it doesn't matter about giving them more light - they'll start coming out and exploring when the time's right - and Mother lets them. However I should keep on providing another birthing box in a convenient place, because mother cats often move their kittens around two weeks after the birth, possibly because in the wild the original nest might be getting a bit smelly despite mother's hygiene and attract predators.

A tray close to whichever box is being used is a good idea too, as some mothers will train their kittens to use one - and if not, the kittens will discover it - and play in it lol. Use a low-sided tray and, I've found, if you can get a box from the supermarket (one of those boxes used for lettuces is ideal) and put the tray in it, it can prevent/contain accidents. Always someone who forgets which side the litter's on! Line the box with newspaper and cut a low entrance hole in it - cheap and effective. Of course mother will use it as well, to set an example.

Happy kitten-rearing :)