dementia?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mytmoe
Returning Cat Chatter

dementia?

Post by mytmoe »

Thanks for the posts...Izzy, my 9 yr old cat who is showing some unusual behaviors...vocalizing more, not using litter box, etc....after reading about feline dementia I am concerned that is what is happening :( She is blind and has been since the day I got her....but she seems to see at times when the light is right. Wondering if anyone has used flower essences for cats to ease dementia symptoms? Or is it just a matter of time and the disease/symptoms get worse?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: dementia?

Post by Lilith »

Hi, is she a rescue? I ask because sometimes rescues misjudge ages - well, it can be impossible to tell. It's just that 9 is a bit young for dementia - but you never know.

I have one of almost 17 who for two or three years has been dementia howling, and also adjusting to deafness; at one point she seemed to reach a 'plateau' where the howling stopped for a while but now she's terrible (bless her!) She always has nagged me though lol.

If Izzy seems to have occasional sight I'm wondering if this too is deteriorating (especially with forgetting her housetraining) and she's adjusting to this transition period by commenting a lot. So I wonder, if, like my Emily, she will adjust and adapt and get back to normal.

This is just off the top of my head, mind, based on my own experiences.

I've never tried the flower essences but there are Bach remedies for cats. Worth trying - alternative remedies for animals often do work better as their systems are purer; not like humans who use caffeine, alcohol etc.

All the best with her :)