Poo or sick?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Poo or sick?

Post by Cassie5791 »

Hi everyone,

So we went away for a night a few weeks ago and just left Maple extra food but weren't sure how she would react. When we got home, she seemed fine but had left a deposit at the top of the stairs. Nowv last night she did it again somewhere else, near her litter tray (which is clean). The odd thing is.. We can't tell if it is sick or poo. It doesn't smell, isn't liquid like diarrhoea but equally doesn't look quite like poo.
Is it normally obvious?

Sorry for the unpleasabt question.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Poo or sick?

Post by Janey »

Is it a furball? they’re poo shaped but look more like sick sometimes obviously fur other times not and sometimes a bit watery with them especially if puss is trying to get them up. When I first came across a furball I was the same, now I can tell. My own cat and the ferals have had a few recently, common in warm weather when they moult a lot. If it is that, it helps if you can groom them.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

We did consider that. Is there normally a bit of sick with the furball? Makes sense i suppose. She is short-haired and groom her but can still visibly see loose fur after! Seems never-ending.

Is there anything else we can do to help her prevent them?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Hair ball treats sometimes work in easing the fur through the gut rather than out the front end.
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

I've seen some treats which supposedly help to avoid them. Anyone used them and think they work, alongside grooming?

Thanks in advance
Cassie5791
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Cassie5791 »

Ah thanks. We posted at the same time!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Cassie5791 wrote:We did consider that. Is there normally a bit of sick with the furball? Makes sense i suppose. She is short-haired and groom her but can still visibly see loose fur after! Seems never-ending.

Is there anything else we can do to help her prevent them?

Yes there will likely be sick with it as well. I’ve found that sometimes after grooming the fur loosens, so you need to groom again. So in that case, I found it helps to groom daily and takes less time - which is ok if you can, my little terror hates being brushed! and yep there are things i.e. treats, biscuits, pastes etc you can buy to help, or ask your vets they will recommend something.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

When Tilly brings up a fur ball, there is usually a lot of sick with it - like most of her dinner!