Kitten keeps pulling vet collar off.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Kitten keeps pulling vet collar off.

Post by lazarus »

Our 6 month old Bree was spayed at the vet this morning and she is now getting back to her mischievous self, she came home with a 10cm collar click. All was fine until tonight she has managed to get it off, each time I put it back on her it's off again in less than three minutes. I tried tightening the elasticated material that ties it on, if I tighten it any more it will throttle her.
She is now licking at the wound, as she has always been a indoor cat she shouldn't have any of the bugs from outside, I'm hoping she doesn't get any infection. Is there any other way of keeping this collar on her?

I'll phone the vet in the morning for more advice.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten keeps pulling vet collar off.

Post by Lilith »

Aarrghh bad lass!

Looks like you're in for a night of worry.

If she won't keep it on, she won't keep it on. Not many vets send them home nowadays in collars though, and hopefully she'll lose interest in licking the wound once she's got the vetty smell off. I HAVE known them take stitches out in 24 hours :o and the vet has just said, don't worry unless the wound gapes (it didn't) ... a friend's cat came home bandaged and well-behaved ... until Madam returned to the vet 10 days later ... not a stitch to be found! She'd worked her nose under the bandage and got them out!

Nowadays they tend to glue the wound rather than stitching, don't know if that's more lick-proof. I know my youngest cat ignored hers. I think the shaven patch can be just as irritating as the wound if not more, but wish I could help more ... if you get really frantic you'd be within your rights to ring the duty vet for advice.

But really really hope there are no CATastrophes ... bad lass, please give her my love and let us know how she goes, all the very best!
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Thanks Lilith, she has taken to splashing both front paws in her water bowl and splashing it everywhere like a child who can't resist jumping in puddles, I think she did it to spite us :lol: :lol: .
I've posted a link below showing her big bro' looking after her earlier on while she was still feeling sorry for herself.
Could only post the link, not sure how to get the actual image to show.

barleyhbree
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Awww - haven't they grown up? :D

Sorry - re-reading my reply I realised I ought to have said, I've never ever heard of a girl having to be rushed in and restitched and though she might give you some hairy moments I don't think she's in much danger, but oh boy they do put us through it don't they?

The wound will of course be stitched internally and it's amazing how they recover too - imagine a woman running about and climbing and jumping a couple of days after a hysterectomy, but a cat will!

Fusses to them both - and hope you manage to get some sleep :)
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

imagine a woman running about and climbing and jumping a couple of days after a hysterectomy, but a cat will!
Funny you mention that, my wife said that is exactly how she felt when she had hers. :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ouch! Every woman's worst nightmare I think. Hope your wife's recovered by now, and hope Bree's been a good girl and is feeling better today :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Oh dear! I don't know why vets insist on stitches and collars, mine use glue so haven't had to deal with a collar for years. I've only ever had one that pulled them out but it was far enough along the healing process to be fine
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I think it's possible restricting movement post-spay may be more important than the stitches - I had a Siamese who insisted on climbing the curtains the day after she came back from the vet, and tore the internal stitches, which meant cage rest for a never-to-be-forgotten week, as anyone who has had a Siamese will understand

she removed the external stitches herself very quickly, but that didn't cause any problems
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

When Ria was spayed, my vet sent her home without a collar. He said he didn't think it was necessary for a cat spay, I was just to keep her indoors for 4 days after the op. She had stitches, not glue. I watched her when she licked the wound area, but she was more interested in the edge of the shaven patch than in the actual wound. I took her back after 10 days to have the stitches out, and she hadn't taken them out herself.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

So far as I recall, Tilly did not have stitches when she was spayed. No collar (doubt she would have worn it for long, if she had had one).
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi the vet who does Little Paws kitties sends them home in a soft collar. One little un had to be raced to the emergency cat clinic on a Fri night after jumping off the cat tree & stitches busted .... she was in there to Mon. When Harper was spayed she was tearing round & jumping up the fly screens the next day. A lump did appear around the wound, I thought hernia, but it was fluid. Hope things have settled for you. Vivian
lazarus
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by lazarus »

Got the collar clic sorted, bought a proper small collar for her from pet shop, threaded it through the collar clic. She fought for about ten minutes trying to get it off then gave up when she realised it was not going to happen. Had her up at the vet this morning and she is quite pleased the way the wound is healing, all being well on next visit Monday Bree will get collar clic removed and probably be back to running all over the place without crashing into things.
A week or two later she will get her first introduction to the back garden. :?