Cat with sun allergies

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Edin_girl33
New Cat Chatter

Cat with sun allergies

Post by Edin_girl33 »

Hi all,

First post here - but was wondering if anyone could help me.

I have a 7 year old ragdoll cross, her names Tipsy :) we live in Edinburgh in Scotland.

A few days ago I noticed she had some scabs above her left eye, I originally thought she had been fighting with her sister (my Russian blue fluffy) but the next morning I noticed she had cuts under her right ear. Some of them were open and bleeding. I couldn't get her an appointment with the vets until Monday just passed so I cleaned it regular with salt water.

So she went to the vet yesterday and I was told she has an allergy to the extreme sun we have been having here lately, and a pollen allergy. The reason it's never happened before to her was apparently because we haven't ever had heat like this since I've had tippy.

She gave a full health check and is happy with everything. She was prescribed 5mg of Prednisolone to be taken one a day for 7 days, then half every second day until they are finished. She was also given iodine for me to clean the wounds.

My question is this. How long do the tablets take to work? Will the scabs just go away gradually or will she always have them? She's ok in herself, eating drinking and running around like crazy. Of course being a cat she loves nothing more than laying on the window with the sun (my cats are indoors)

Sorry for the long post,

Michelle and Tipsy Xx

Ps tried to add pics but it's saying file too large :-/
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat with sun allergies

Post by Alice »

You'll find help with posting photos here....

https://www.catchat.org/felineforum/vie ... f=29&t=227

One of my Ragdolls has very thick, long fur and loves to find any sunny spot indoors, but when he goes in the garden he sensibly lies in the shade.

Look forward to seeing your pics and I hope the medication will soon help him.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

My cat has exactly the same, we think. We were originally told it was a flea allergy, she doesn’t have fleas but they bite her, like we get bites and itch her. So the vet said to treat her monthly with Advocate. Then last year after 2 weeks she was breaking out and bleeding, and I was having to put the comfy collar on her and over the counter powder. Anyway to cut a long story short I took her back to the vets and the vet gave me a steroid cream for her, to use a tiny dab twice a day. She said that even Advocate can’t cover every single insect, especially if they’re hunters, or it could be another allergy, such as to pollens which when she inhales come out in her skin. I’m suspecting something like that, I don’t like keep using flea treatments on her so I’ve missed them since last September. As usual though, last week, I noticed her scratching a lot, then felt the pimples in her skin and saw some areas which were bleeding again, one above the eye and another on the top her neck. So I got the cream out, a quick dab x 2 per day for 2 days and it’s scabbed over and healing nicely. It’s called Isaderm, I personally would rather use that, a tiny bit, as and when in summer, than steroid tablets or flea treatments. It seems to work well - might be worth asking your vet for? Best of luck!
Edin_girl33
New Cat Chatter

Post by Edin_girl33 »

Thanks for the replies.

Her little face looks so much better today I'm happy to report. It's not bled overnight which means she's not scratched. I don't think this will be a long term thing for her, vet seems pretty sure it's because we have been having extreme heat in Scotland. We aren't used to it haha!

I think the diluted iodine has really helped with her sore bits aswell. Tipsy is such a placid cat, she just sits on my knee purring when I'm cleaning her. Having to drop the pill down her throat is fun though haha!

If it re occurs then I'll take her back to the vets and ask about the cream you suggested.

She's happily snoozing after her tuna for brekkie

From a very sunny Edinburgh:-)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

That’s great news! so glad you’ve nipped it in the bud :) fusses to Tipsy x