Blasted Old Cat is getting terribly thin.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Christmas
New Cat Chatter

Blasted Old Cat is getting terribly thin.

Post by Christmas »

I'm not a great cat lover, but our cat , Cleo came into our lives unbidden 22 years ago. She's been completely fab at keeping down mice and rats and all, and given a great deal of pleasure to my children as they were growing up. She has in fact been the perfect cat in the past.

She has over the last year been getting terribly thin - bag of bones with a fur coat really. I've tried everything food wise with her - she used to have Felix / Whiskers but she's not very interested now. She has a tiny bit and then leaves. I give her some milk in a little bowl I've tried Gourmet gold, raw turkey mince, poached chicken breast etc etc.

She has her food and she will eat a little (we have to feed her in the downstairs loo as we have a voracious golden retriever, so we can shut the door on her and let her out when she calls) No sooner than she gets out, she starts meowing again, It's like she's hungry, but she's forgotten that she has eaten. Do cats get dementia?

She is fit and quick - we nowadays cuddle up on the sofa - she is loved. I would just like you to advise me how I can get her to put up some weight.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Blasted Old Cat is getting terribly thin.

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. Aww bless her, I love the oldies and she’s definitely doing well to get to such a good age. I had one well into her 20’s and she was a right character.

Regarding not eating as much, has she had a vet check? just to check all is well, full blood to check for things like thyroid (as that can cause weight loss) etc, and her teeth as that could cause her to go off her food. Although they do tend to get a bit scrawnier as they age anyway as they lose some muscle.

If all is well healthwise, then loss of appetite can be common with older pets, as they, like us, lose their sense of taste and smell as they age, so may need stronger tasting and smelling foods. So a bit of smelly tinned fish a few times a week, maybe mixed in with her other food. Gourmet pates have always been a winner with mine. Also, cat milk, or human lactofree milk, if they like, and can tolerate it, is great to add on a bit of weight.

Cats can get dementia like humans, I believe, so that’s something to be aware of, they can also lose some of their hearing and sight, which can make them act a bit differently, become more vocal etc. But definitely get a vet check if you’ve not done so, and try lots of different foods to see what she will eat.

Those are just some ideas I can think of at them moment, give her a big snuggle from me.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless her, that's a very good age :)

I can't improve on Janey's advice; I have one of my own, comparatively junior at 17; she is rather deaf and has dementia - when she wakes she bawls for a moment until she realises where she is, or sometimes, like yours she just seems to forget for a minute what's happened. A cuddle reassures her if she's within reach. If I'm busy (especially in the kitchen) she yells at me all the time, but she's done that all her life (no, Emily, cats do NOT eat olives!) I tend to feed her on demand, and on the kind of foods Janey suggests. She has kidney disease, which can also cause thinness, but her coat is still sleek. At her age I don't try to force her to eat a special diet, I just want her to keep eating, but the vet recommends senior food, which is lower in potassium, so that's what she gets - well, apart from treats like salmon and those little cans of Thrive and Encore and Gourmet which are perfect for an elderly cat with a small attention span - like your girl she's always hungry but she often gorges for a minute and then wanders away - a while later she's hungry again.

All the best to your old girl and I hope she's with you for a good time yet - long live our golden oldies! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's a brave age! You must be doing something right.

Janey has given you a comprehensive answer. All I can add is that my oldie, Thomas loved his sardines and that my current oldie Willow (15) will have something to eat then, ten minutes later she is back by her bowl meowing at me!

Our Purdy is 13 and has always been a skinny minnie. Sometimes we give her 'Recovery' food from the vets. It builds her up in no time.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my oldie loves the malt type pastes, and I give her a couple of centimetres of a multi-vitamin one every day, which she licks off my finger

I feed Gourmet Gold pates regularly, and you might find she will like the cat soups now around

creaming up some tuna or mackrel might be palatable to her - I would assume she doesn't have a good set of teeth any more as few cats would at her age
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Have you tried high fat content mince human quality not pet feed raw or cook whichever puss prefers the high fat content gives maximum calories for the amount the cat eats so if they only eat a little it helps with weight gain but like all foods some love it some don't worth a go though