1 yr old un neutered male cat suddenly aggressive to older female

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hawkeye120
New Cat Chatter

1 yr old un neutered male cat suddenly aggressive to older female

Post by Hawkeye120 »

A yr ago we went and got another cat. We already had a three yr old fixed female. At first she disliked the kitten and he hid under the couch for a couple of days. Soon they were getting along and playing, the female would sometimes even groom him. In the past couple of days (5 or so) he has become very aggressive toward her. He attacks her, she deficated on the couch and she has even been sleeping in the litter box. Also, he seems to do it in front of my wife and not me. He is very lovey and vocal toward me ( meowing and cooing ) and he is usually shoved up my butt. Will getting him fixed change anything? Could this be sexual aggression or a territory thing?

Thanks
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 1 yr old un neutered male cat suddenly aggressive to older female

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Yes, he needs doing - sounds to me as if he's become a total asbo and pain in the posterior, testosterone lout.

Neutering him will save him from fights, injuries, abscesses, tellings off from spraying in the house, potential rta's if he wanders in search of mates - and you from vet bills, stinks, and aggro.

I know it seems sad to take away his manhood, but he'll be just as much of a man, and far more of a beautiful cat and pet. And there's every chance of the situation at home calming down.

All the very best :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

just to add I wonder if your female's behaviour could be because he has been keeping her away from the litter box? you might need to think about putting down another one if so
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome :) Yes neutering should help, just to add to the other good advice, there’s lots of info here:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-k ... euter-spay