FIV and severe anaemia

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
CarolAnnSharratt
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

FIV and severe anaemia

Post by CarolAnnSharratt »

Our FIV cat Cyril has gone rapidly downhill over approx 10 days - lethargic and not particularly hungry. For the first couple of days we thought it may have been the weather but decided to take him to the vet for a check up. He had blood tests and was severely anaemic and no signs of any regeneration of blood cells. A reading of 8 which the vet suggested was a bleak prognosis. We decided to try a transfusion to give him a chance and buy a bit of time. He had the transfusion and has been down at the vets today for xrays and ultrasound (the vet felt this was not going to achieve anything but respected our wishes) Nothing particularly significant has shown up but his blood transfusion has had no impact on his red blood cell count and it is lower still. Cyril came to us from a rescue with an estimated age of 4 or 5 and if that was correct he approximately 7 although he could certainly be older. I don't imagine, after spending hours on the internet there will be any miracle out there but if anyone does have any thoughts - they would be welcome. (Support from Barbara and Bob at catworks has been good)
Jane

Re: FIV and severe anaemia

Post by Jane »

Hi, so sorry about your cat. I’ve copied your post to this section as not everyone reads all sections, and I do hope Cyril has improved.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Hi I have experienced severe and rapid anemia in fiv cats infected with haemobartonella a blood parasite it can be difficult to detect so worth treating for even if not detected its a long course of fairly cheap antibiotics worth asking your vet about
CarolAnnSharratt
Returning Cat Chatter

The vet gave Cyril a shot of antibiotics and we have managed to give him tablets over the last couple of days but now he has stopped showing any interest in food it seems a difficult situation.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Poor Cyril. Have you tried lots of different foods to encourage him to eat?

Gourmet pates are usually a winner with mine when they are poorly and off their food.

Strong smelling fish may help, or even some white boiled fish or chicken.

Or have you tried a prescription food from the vets? Hills AD I think it’s called, it’s a soft pate type food and is usually tempting to cats and very high in nutrients and calories.

It’s so difficult when they won’t eat. Sometimes when you can get the appetite back it can help a lot.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

I'm sorry for Cyril :(
Have you tried with any appetite stimulant?
Cyril has to eat, I have read that beef is helpful in cases of anaemia, and of course, if it's possible, you could give him some iron supplement.

Have him to eat with a syringe, Hill's A/D or Royal Canin Recovery are fine. If he doesn' eat, his liver could receive severe damages!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

would he eat raw liver?
CarolAnnSharratt
Returning Cat Chatter

Thanks for all the replies, trying to follow advice given. The vet feels the FIV has really flared up, causing the anaemia and his blood transfusion did not have any effect at all. We will keep him as comfortable as possible. Cyril came from the cats protection, nearly 2 years ago and we noticed he was very prone to licking walls. In retrospect I wonder whether this was a symptom of underlying anaemia but no one we spoke to had any thoughts as to why he would do this.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Carol, what you describe is a well-known disorder called 'Pica' and very similar to the kind of craving pregnant women may have for certain foods; the body is guiding its owner to seek some mineral or substance that it lacks. I've read a description of a child in the 1920s eating mortar/plaster out of a wall ... for the lime/calcium? I'm surprised the vets didn't pick up on that in Cyril's case.

Poor chap, good luck and fusses to him, he's very lucky to have you and I hope you and he have a good while yet together, love, Lil x