At what age to spay??

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

At what age to spay??

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Lola is 13 weeks old tomorrow, at what age do they usually get spayed?

Marg.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: At what age to spay??

Post by fjm »

Well, my first ever cat got pregnant at just over 5 months old... I was 12 at the time, but learned the lesson!

Blue Cross recommend 4 months up, so it is probably time to talk to your vet and get their advice.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It varies on the vet, you can check if they have signed up to Cp's early neutering pledge (4 months), the younger you spay, the quicker they recover
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

The younger the better, but it really depends on the vet, early spaying still isn't that common in the UK, in the States and Canada they will do it at 8 weeks as long as the kitten is healthy and a good weight. A charity I support has a vet that is happy to do it at 12 weeks so no kitten is rehomed hefore being spayed or neutered.

Contact your vet and ask how soon they would be willing to do it.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Over here the vets advice that kittens have to be over 6 months old. It seems, though, that this school of thought is old-fashioned compared to the rest of the world.

BTW: Wonderful name for a kitty, do you have a photo of her? :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

My vets do it from 9 weeks, so all our kittens are neutered before homing - when I was with the previous charity we must have done nearly 100, and only one issue, a boy whose testicles hadn't descended, he had to go back at 6 months. When I was with CP, we did neutering vouchers so had prices from all the vets in the area, and we had everything from 9 weeks to 6 months, some insisted on collars, others didn't.
Luna Suki
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Luna Suki »

My vet recently told me they prefer Cats to weigh over 2kg. Suki is 18 weeks and weighs just under that. X
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

My vet recently told me they prefer Cats to weigh over 2kg. Suki is 18 weeks and weighs just under that
There's the problem of having a Maine Coon - Tilly weighed more than that at age 8 weeks! Would also have been awkward with my first cat Sally, as she didn't weigh that much until nearly 9 months old. The two kittens I have had neutered (Sally and Tilly) were 5 months old when I had them done.
Luna Suki
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Luna Suki »

alanc wrote:
My vet recently told me they prefer Cats to weigh over 2kg. Suki is 18 weeks and weighs just under that
There's the problem of having a Maine Coon - Tilly weighed more than that at age 8 weeks! Would also have been awkward with my first cat Sally, as she didn't weigh that much until nearly 9 months old. The two kittens I have had neutered (Sally and Tilly) were 5 months old when I had them done.

The vet said it was my choice they could do her at 16 weeks but they prefer them over 2kg. I'm taking Suki in a couple of weeks. she will be 20 weeks. She's desperate to get out of the house! Our house is like a sweat box at the moment because we can't have any windows or doors open or she will be out :D
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

The normal weight restriction i've heard is either 2lb or 1kg as long as the kitten is healthy.

Every vet is different I guess.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Ruth B wrote:The normal weight restriction i've heard is either 2lb or 1kg as long as the kitten is healthy.

Every vet is different I guess.
My vet will do over 500g, I've only had one that was that light at 9 weeks, it was a litter of 6 and the staff put her in the wrong carrier when I collected them, halfway home I saw her on the parcel shelf! :o
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

My local CP told me mine could get castrated from 4mths but has to weigh above 2kg. I tend to get mine done at 5mths. They stay inside until they are neutered.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Thanks for all the replies, Lola is 13 weeks now & weighs 1.5kg, so not so long to wait.

Marg.