Advice needed on my FIV cat

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
lovemycats
New Cat Chatter

Advice needed on my FIV cat

Post by lovemycats »

Hi Everyone,

I am just after some advice and help, I have a 17 year old white female cat (Henrietta) who is FIV positive, over the last year her ear has slowly got worse and the vet confirmed its cancer of the ear, we decided against getting the ear off as with her having the FIV it would not have healed and it would spread anyway.

I had her to the vet yesterday and they recommended we highly think about her getting put to sleep as it looks like the inside of her ear is sore now aswell. A few weeks before that the vet said that she could go on quite happily but I am really undecided and feel like I don't know what to do, she has been rather withdrawn the past 2 weeks and doesn't move around as much as she used to, she sleeps on the kitchen chair most day and isnt eating a great lot. Until yesterday after we got back from the vet she keeps hiding and going behind the fridge, this is really odd behavior of her. I am not sure whether she just wants to be alone or just didn't like the trip to the vet, but she has never done that before.

We were given some steroid cream for her ear and tried to clean it up but each time we did it just bled all the time then it used to scab over and the scab fall off making her ear come away. It doesn't help how she keeps pawing at it and scratching it. We have also used a cone to help but she has been going ballistic with it and making her even more depressed. Her ear had deteriorated loads this past week and got worse.

We have her booked in to be put to sleep on Monday but as I said earlier I really find it hard to make the decision.

I have uploaded a picture of her ear the mess she gets herself in after its been cleaned and bleeds then she gets annoyed and rubs it. The vet said she isn't in any pain with it but it does look really sore.

I guess I am just looking for other opinions and what would anyone else do?

Thank you all for reading.

Heidi
Attachments
rsz_1rsz_dsc_0125.jpg
This is Henrietta
(128 KiB) Not downloaded yet
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Advice needed on my FIV cat

Post by greenkitty »

Poor Henrietta, what a dreadful situation to find yourselves in.

Firstly I think the hiding is probably due to the vet visit and she's probably worrying that you're going to cart her off there again.

Secondly, although not cancer related or FIV+, I'm having an ongoing problem in trying to get Hector to leave a sore on his nose alone while we treat it (under vet supervision), I have experimented with a couple of different types of "collars" which stress Hector much, much less than the traditional lampshade type the vet hands out and he's coping pretty well with having it on and is actually allowing his nose to scab over and heal.

These are the 3 we've tried:

The first I've found to be the best, I got a size 1 and it fits pretty much as the cat in the picture looks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-of-Anim ... 86322H155A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was the second best but Hector drinks a lot of water and it got wet and rubbed his neck but if Henrietta doesn't drink much I can see this one working:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrive-BCC3-Com ... mfy+collar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the least favourite, again it got wet and doesn't give as good visibility as the other two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SOFT-E-SMART-CO ... 86322H155A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It might be worth trying one of these to see if you can give her a fighting chance of getting the wound to heal. You know your girl best if you don't think she's ready to go then it's worth battling on.

Good luck!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Ouch, poor girl and poor you - this can't be easy for either of you.

In all honesty - given that you're at the stage where you're considering letting her go I would have another word with the vet and discuss possible ear amputation and at least give that a chance. If they glue and stitch the wound surely it would have some chance of healing?

Fusses to your girl
lovemycats
New Cat Chatter

Post by lovemycats »

That is the thing, I spoke to the vet and he doesn't recommend taking the ear off as it won't heal with her having the FIV or she has a very low chance of waking up. The same goes for reattaching it, its too far gone and with it being cancerous they cant do much. :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Poor, sweet baby. I don't care what your vet says that DOES look sore!

I think the ear has gone too far to consider having it 'fixed'.

The ear problem aside, how is Henrietta's general health? If it's good I would go along with what meriad (Ria?) has said. If she has other problems, then that is a different matter. It may be kinder to let her go.

As for the FIV+, Bobby is FIV+. Our vet warned us that he might not make it through surgery when he had to have his leg removed. The wound took an AGE to heal - but it did heal. OK he is much younger than Henrietta, but we are so pleased we gave him the chance.

I know whatever you decide to do, you will have her best interests at heart. Gentle fusses to Henrietta.

best wishes

Sue
lovemycats
New Cat Chatter

Post by lovemycats »

I would like to thank everyone for replying to this and taking the time to read, but since the post Henrietta has declined, she isn't being very social like she used to, the ear is now almost off and the smell has got much worse, she now looks incredibly miserable and depressed and the fact she isn't eating anything or very little we think it is best to go ahead with Mondays appointment for the euthanasia rather than let her suffer anymore. The vet highly recommends it as the cancer how now spread into her ear worse than we thought.

Thankyou all

Heidi
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So very sorry to hear that Heidi. :cry:

Gentle fusses to your little girl. I will be thinking of you both on Monday.

Sue xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Will be thinking of you and Henrietta today (((hug)))