Advice needed

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Vanessa
Frequent Cat Chatter

Advice needed

Post by Vanessa »

I took in a stray around 2 years ago that had been living in my garden. I already have enough cats but it was so cold and he was ageing.

He developed bad sniffling sneezing last year. I took him to the vet. They gave him antibiotic injection but I had to return again and they gave him veraflox.

One year later he has the same. The vet said it is likely he has cat flu and it will strike when his immune system is low.

Same situation - good improvement after first injection for four days then worse than ever. Started last night on Veraflox and no improvement yet. He is passionate about food. Having lived stray for so long - but he is not eating. Everytime he bends forward too much mucus.

My household is multi cat. Very difficult to separate him plus I get a lot of strays this time of year.

What can I do to help him and the other cats? Is Veraflox the right solution. Shouldn't they be doing a bit more? I don't have a lot of money to get this treated but he seems in such discomfort. Should I give the Veraflox a bit longer?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Advice needed

Post by greenkitty »

Unfortunately with cat flu it's a question of managing the symptoms when they flare up which may continue for the rest of the cats life. There are some things you can do to help though, the cat isn't eating because cats needs to smell their food, your cats nose is so blocked he can't smell it, you can try warming the food either with some warm water or give it 10 seconds in the microwave (check to make sure it's not too hot), the heat makes the food more smelly. You need to make sure he eats, it can lead to complications if he goes without food for a long time, try smearing some food around his lips or on his paws for him lick off. If necessary the vets sell a food called Hills A/D which is a recovery food and when mixed with a little warm water can by syringed into the cats mouth (it's about £1.50 a tin and they should be able to give you a 20ml syringe for free), you also need to get some water into him too. If it gets really desperate they can give you an appetite stimulant which helped my Hector turn the corner and get him eating again a few years ago.

The vets also sell something called Bisolvon (not expensive) which helps break down the mucous and makes it easier from them to breathe (you only need a pinch and it can be put straight into the mouth if he's not eating).

Other things to try are to take puss into the bathroom with you when you shower or bath, keep the windows and door shut and the steam will help with the congestion (obviously don't get her wet).

Sometimes it's just a case of riding it out, it can take a couple of weeks to get on top of and in the meantime make sure he is warm and not stressed. If he deteriorates you need to call the vet for advice but you need to get him eating, try warm chicken, warm smelly fish, treats anything to get his appetite moving.

Good luck!
Vanessa
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Vanessa »

Thank You. I will phone vet about Bisolvin and try and get him eating. Luckily he is a bit overweight but it is worrying that he is not drinking either.
Vanessa
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Vanessa »

Just phoned vet. she is going to give me an anti-inflammatory that I can squirt in his mouth (not an easy task with a half-feral cat). This may work as he was fine after first anti-inflammatory injection last week. Fingers crossed. I can hear him breathing from here. Feel so awful for him.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

It may help to also raise his food and water dishes so that he's not spluttering so much when trying to eat. We had a cat with nasal problems and he was always very sniffly and blocked up and as well as the Bisolvon which I used to add a pinch to his water each day (to help keep the mucus thin), I bought some raised food dishes which really helped. You can just put the dish on top of something sturdy though I am sure it will help. My cat also used to love me feeding him when he didn't eat, I used to take his food to the sofa and give it off a spoon and encourage him. Please give your cat a big snuggle from me and hope he's feeling better soon
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

It can be hard work to get them through these flare ups but sometimes, although you feel awful doing it, you have to do what needs to be done. I remember syringe feeding Hector with tears pouring down my face, hated doing it but knew if he was to stand a chance that's what we needed to do.

Do ask for the Bisolvon, it's magic stuff and really helps keep the mucous moving.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I can vouch for the Hills A/D. We always have a tin in stock. Our Purdy is a skinny little cat who never puts on weight. Occasionally we give her a tin of Hills 'baby food', feeding her from a spoon like a baby (just like Janey does). She loves the food as she seems to appreciate the extra fuss and attention of being spoon-fed - even though I do tend to get splattered with the stuff!

Poor baby. It's awful to see them suffering like that :( . I hope he is on the mend soon.