Shelter FIV adoption program

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
ColesMom
New Cat Chatter

Shelter FIV adoption program

Post by ColesMom »

Hello! I am the adoption supervisor for a large (14,000+ animals/year) open intake shelter in the US. I recently approached our executive management team with a propositionto turn one of our community cat rooms into a room to showcase FIV+ adoptable cats. They are open to the idea but want full details on the market, ways to advertise, and plan to move the cats as quickly as possible. I presented them with a buffet of FIV information regarding transmission and care. I am looking for other open admission/intake shelters that have an FIV program. I would like to talk to them about what experiences they have had and what hurdles they have come across. I personally have an FIV+ boy. He contracted the disease sometime around 2009 (he had negative snap tests in the summer, a positve IFA in December). His is now 12 and just now starting to show his age. I have a soft spot for FIV cats and do NOT think they deserve euthanasia solely for being positive. They can still live long, healthy lives. Any input would be appreciated! There are not many open admission shelters that advertise FIV programs. One local limited admission shelter does offer FIV adoption but they do not advertise for fear of attracting people who will want to surrender their FIV cat. We are meeting with them tomorrow but would like as much input from other sources as possible.

Thank you!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Shelter FIV adoption program

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome,

There's lots of information and contacts here which may be helpful:

http://www.catchat.org/fiv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Shelter FIV adoption program

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi ColesMom and welcome,

the site that Janey has given you is great. On it there is a link to 'Catwork'. Bob and Barbara, who run Catwork have been a great help to me with my FIV boy.

Wishing you all the best with your project.