Newly diagnosed FIV cat

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
angeljames2580
New Cat Chatter

Newly diagnosed FIV cat

Post by angeljames2580 »

Hello, I am writing because my cat tested positive for FIV today. I was completely devastated since I am not really educated on this subject. After talking with my vet and looking at several sites online I am starting to feel better. Can any of you offer any advice on taking care of my cat now that she is infected with FIV? Thanks
Angel
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Newly diagnosed FIV cat

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Angel and welcome to CC.

First of all - DON'T PANIC! It is easy to say I know, I can remember how I felt when I got the news about Bobby. He was born with a 'wonky' leg, but managed very well until he got and infection in the knee/wrist. It would not heal and we decided to amputate the leg. Just before to OP the vet said she had done a blood test (she had her suspicions) for FIV and found , that on top of his leg problem he was FIV+. It was such a shock, he was only one year old.

That is when I found CC and the lovely people on here. One, Carol, put me on to Bob and Barbara at Catwork - http://www.FIVcats.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; They will send you a book, '80 FIV cats', that will answer all your questions.

Some folks will tell you to not to let FIV+ and FIV- cats mix, but mine are fine together.

Can you tell us a bit more about your cat? How old is she/ Does she have any underlying health problems or did this come out of the blue?

Look forward hearing about you and your kitty. Best wishes

Sue

BTW Bob has just burst back into the house looking for his breakfast. He has a feather stuck to his whiskers. OH has asked him what he has done with the rest of it? :? I do fuss over him, but it seems I have no need!