Best Pet insurers for FIV+ cats

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Best Pet insurers for FIV+ cats

Post by destinyscheeks »

So I rehomed King Tobias Warrior just over a week ago and got a months free pet insurance with PetPlan via Cats Protection. I then get a text saying I can get another months free so I called them up to enquire further.

Prices seem to be reasonable*, but then he put me thru to his colleague who tells me that insurance excludes the below:

-Anything FIV+ related
-Infections or infectious diseases
-Skin, mouth or oral disorders
-Gastro/indigestion disorders

Kinda feels a bit silly paying for a plan when the above is excluded and he is an indoor cat pffffft.

Does anyone know of any other good insurers who will cover FIV+ cats? Or is this what most insurers would exclude? (Bare in mind this is my first time ever being a pet owner so I really have no idea about all of this)

*PetPlans Prices
Essential Plan (very basic)
Only covered for the first year
£14.59 for 1st month
£14.58 for 10 x months
£65 excess

Covered for life (Up to £4k)
£19.94 1st month
£19.85 10 x months
(This includes my £65 rehoming cost if he was to pass away before he turns 10, otherwise it works out to be £2 less)
£70 excess

Covered for life (Up to £7k)
£22.21 1st month
£22.20 10 x months
(Again, the above includes a refund of my £65 rehoming cost if he was to pass away before he turns 10, otherwise it works out to be £2 less)
£70 excess
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Best Pet insurers for FIV+ cats

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm very dubious about insurance in general. It seems whatever the problem is it's excluded! But then I am very cynical. But I will warn you that the phrase 'anything FIV+ related' can mean anything from a broken claw to alien abduction!
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

bobbys girl wrote:But I will warn you that the phrase 'anything FIV+ related' can mean anything from a broken claw to alien abduction!
LMAO!

I was told pet insurance is beneficial/recommended - but now Im thinking that they could argue that any reason I have to take him to the vet is due to his FIV :roll:

Now Im thinking maybe I shouldnt get insurance - if its not going to cover the very basic essentials, it kinda makes monthly payments futile.

I'll keep looking to see if there is anything better out there, but Im wondering if anyone has pet insurance for their FIV+ cats which include the basics (at least!). I did a search on here but couldnt find any prior topics covering this.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I know some folks would insure, whatever the cost, but with SO many exclusions you would probably be better setting up a little savings account. That would cover the basics and go towards any bigger costs.

I had an Omega estate for over 12 years and in that time paid a fortune in insurance. I made one claim, an electrical fire (wiring harness fault) while it was standing in the drive. By the time I'd paid the excess and 'taken the blame' (how? what? why?) It would have been cheaper to fix it myself! My insurance went up the next year. :x :roll:
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by destinyscheeks »

bobbys girl wrote:I know some folks would insure, whatever the cost, but with SO many exclusions you would probably be better setting up a little savings account. That would cover the basics and go towards any bigger costs.
So true. Hes an indoor cat so most of the exclusions are things Id have to pay out of pocket for anyways so it seems.
bobbys girl wrote:II had an Omega estate for over 12 years and in that time paid a fortune in insurance. I made one claim, an electrical fire (wiring harness fault) while it was standing in the drive. By the time I'd paid the excess and 'taken the blame' (how? what? why?) It would have been cheaper to fix it myself! My insurance went up the next year. :x :roll:
Oh dear. Makes me think about my bank account. I pay £15/month for "benefits" incl insurance for gadgets, car break down etc and coming tot think of it, I dont think Ive ever "benefitted" from it :lol: