My FIV+ boy just got into a fight! So annoyed at myself

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My FIV+ boy just got into a fight! So annoyed at myself

Post by destinyscheeks »

So as most of us FIV+ cat owners know, we are told (by our vets, CP etc) we must keep our cats inside. But I want my boy to have the best in life (and I still dont know whether he truly is an indoor or outdoor cat).

Anyways, I went outside to smoke and there he was, waiting by the door for me. I decided to let him into the back garden whilst I smoke - wtf was I thinking!!! :oops:

He looked around the garden, then hopped onto the wooden fence that separates my garden from my neighbours and started scratching. All this time, I had a pouch of food for him to tempt him back in as he hasnt eaten yet.

Then he jumped up on top of my neighbours shed and starts making this weird noise - like an wolf howling! When I jumped up to see what he was doing I noticed there was another cat there. KTW was still howling but I could see his whole body trembling, as he edged closer and closer - in slow motion. I didnt want to think the worst but then he got really close to the cat and then they started fighting

So annoyed at myself. I eventually had to climb over the wall to go and get him, as I could see that KTW was going back for more (the other cat started it but KTW wanted to finish it!)

I never want to to take him outside again as Ive seen that cat many times (idk if its stray or owned by one of my neighbours) but I just wanted to get this off my chest. I cant believe I did that, let alone what I just witnessed.

He is back inside now and Ive given him some food, but I burst into tears apologising to him for being so stupid for letting him out :x
Last edited by destinyscheeks on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: My FIV+ boy just got into a fight! So annoyed at myself

Post by nanny pamy »

Awww how sad. My Theo is an indoor cat and seems quite content. If I open the back door slightly he pokes his little face out but as soon as the wind blows on him he turns round and runs, lol, but sometimes when I go out in the garden to hang my washing out he sits gazing at me and yes I ve been tempted to let him out but I dont think hed last long, other cats in the street are always fighting and theres allotments, fields and traffic up and down. And when I read the terribly sad posts on here about cats killed in RTAs it convinces me I'm doing right by him
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm sorry to hear that. Is he OK, have you checked him over? Don't beat yourself up - these things happen. He might not WANT to go out in the future. Fusses to the little man.
destinyscheeks
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by destinyscheeks »

Thanks guys. I just got back from the vets - they checked him over and clipped his nails (boy did he put up a fight haha!)

Everything seems to be okay - they cant see any evidence of cuts, bruises or bleeding. I told the vet what I saw and they said that his "wolf howling" was him marking his territory! He is so humble and friendly indoors, a true lap cat. But outdoors he seems to be very fiesty! I could tell he wanted to go back for a second round :roll: .

I will keep him indoors until I invest in this outdoor catrun - he gets to be outdoors but it also protects the local cats from my feisty territorial boy :lol: :lol: :lol:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

destinyscheeks wrote:I will keep him indoors until I invest in this outdoor catrun - he gets to be outdoors but it also protects the local cats from my feisty territorial boy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great, he'll like that!

Glad to hear he is OK, little monkey!