Need Advice on Soot my cat

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Need Advice on Soot my cat

Post by melshop »

My poor cat Soot who I took in as a stray has FIV and he is almost 7 years old.

He is recovering from an upper respiratory tract infection, which saw him on antibiotics last week, followed by more today from the vet with some Metacam as just as he perked up, he started to go off his food and act miserable again.

I have a couple of questions to ask, he is incredibly fussy, to the point of loosing lots of weight unless we constantly change his food, in the Spring of this year he lost a lot of weight and all his blood/stool tests came back normal. He simply will not eat unless he likes the food and means we have spent fortunes putting food in front of him, only for him to go off it a day later. He is still on the thin side but not as bad as in April. I am desperate to fatten him up but he just wont eat much, he had teeth removed earlier in the year, and all the food we give him is mushed up. We have tried all the major vet brands, supermarket brands, raw food, you name it. He is very well looked after, I work from home so he has company all day, and we take him to the vets at the slightest problem, its heartbreaking to see him like this.

We have found a medication online Lymphocyte T-Cell Immunomodulator by a company called T-Cyte therapeutics, does anyone know if you can get this here in the UK or anything similar to treat Soot, as I feel he is declining, despite our best efforts to keep him healthy.

If anyone could give advice I would be grateful.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Need Advice on Soot my cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome. Poor old Soot!

I'm sorry I've never heard of the lymphocyte stuff but hopefully someone on here will know. But I can recommend this as a vitamin/calorie supplement, and it does seem to pick them up and stimulate appetite -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H ... ies&sr=1-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like golden syrup and doesn't taste or smell of anything much; you put a bit on your finger and wipe it round the cat's lips, so even a poorly cat HAS to lick it off. There's also a preparation called 'Critical Care' which is a powder, dissolvable in water and to be syringed into the animal, which is more invasive. I've never actually used this; I bought it for a snake who I was concerned about (it's suitable for all species) but never used it. I reckon it's much the same thing though.

Poor old chap, hope he improves and I hope you find something he enjoys eating - naughty lad!

Give him a fuss from me and keep updating :)
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Need Advice on Soot my cat

Post by melshop »

Thanks for the link to that vitamin supplement on Amazon, I just ordered some and will try him on it as soon as it arrives.

I did try a product like you describe called Royal Canine convalescent support, which you mix with water to make a calorie dense liquid, but he wouldn't touch it, typical.