Upper respiratory tract infection

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Upper respiratory tract infection

Post by melshop »

My poor cat Soot has this, and has had it before, but this time after a visit to the vet on Friday, the rehydration treatment and antibiotic shot have not made him bounce back as he normally does. He is already thin, and was on steriods to help him put on weight, so I am really worried. How long do these infections on average take before they start to recover? He has not eaten anything apart from the vitamin supplement paste I was recommended on here which I have put on his paws to lick off. He has perked up a bit today, nose has stopped running but he still wont eat, just drink water.

I am worried that the vet will tell me he needs to be put to sleep next week, I will be booking an appointment on Monday if he is still not eating. Anyone have any experience of this.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Upper respiratory tract infection

Post by Kay »

I think you might get more response if you post in the Health and Behaviour section, as those without an FIV cat probably don't check out this one

It's been a while since I have had a cat with an URTI, but I seem to recall reading that daily abs administered by mouth are much more effective than slow release injections, so perhaps that is something you could try

he might not be interested in food because the infections is affected his sense of smell and taste - something really stinky, like oily fish might tempt him, and failing that there are liquid foods stocked by vets which deliver intense nutrition in small amounts

I can't see myself that an URTI or loss of appetite should spell the end for your boy - make sure your vet understands you want to explore all avenues as long as your boy seems to have a quality of life, and be ready to fight for it himself
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Kay, and there will be more people who've had a cat with upper respiratory tract infections. One of mine was off his food for a couple of days with an infection like this - I eventually got him to take peieces of warm chicken from my hand, or ham. As Kay says, try something smelly too. If all else fails, it might be worth getting some Hills a/d (which is hughly concentrated) and try getting some of that down him. I really hope he manages to bounce back. Good luck.
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by melshop »

Thanks, I will give that a try and post on the other board.

Mel