Any experience with LTCI?

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
birdinski
New Cat Chatter

Any experience with LTCI?

Post by birdinski »

I found this forum through an article about FIV cats, and I thought perhaps that some in this forum might have had experience with LTCI ( see Tcyte.com), a new treatment that has shown good results for many FIV+/FeLV cats.

I'm going to talk with the vet about it very soon, but I wondered if anyone had firsthand experience in getting the treatments for their own cats.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Any experience with LTCI?

Post by bobbys girl »

I've not heard of it. Can you explain more?
birdinski
New Cat Chatter

Re: Any experience with LTCI?

Post by birdinski »

I don't know that much yet, but there's a vet in my area who offers it so I'm going to go learn more and see if my cat is a good candidate. Their website is tcyte.com, and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of information about it just yet. One site said:
TCyte has several different effects on the immune system of the infected cat. It helps increase the number of lymphocytes formed in the blood stream of the infected cat as well as improving the way the lymphocytes function. (Lymphocytes are specific types of white blood cells that are an important part of the immune system and they play a crucial role in the cat’s ability to fight disease. They are often decreased in feline leukemia and/or feline AIDS infections.) TCyte also increases red blood cell production, helping to fight anemia in infected cats. In addition, it increases IL-2 production, which is also known to stimulate the lymphocyte reaction against viruses, such as the feline leukemia and feline AIDS viruses.
I know it's available throughout the US, but I'm not sure about other countries. There's also another treatment called RetroMAD1 but I don't know much at all about that one except that it's from scientists in Malaysia and it can be very hard to obtain.