Newly diagnosed FIV cat

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
Catleesi
New Cat Chatter

Newly diagnosed FIV cat

Post by Catleesi »

Today I found out my 3 year old cat, yoshi, is FIV plus. I'm devastated because it's my fault for not getting him neutered when I should have. He recently got bit by some animal outside and his bite hasn't been healing. Which is why I took him to the vet and found out. My vet asked me if I even wanted to take him home or let him go, which hurts even more :/ I cannot give him up or think about putting him down. I've been doing research on FIV cats but I wanted to ask other FIV+ cat owners how they are taking care of their cats. He's an outdoor cat but I'm told he will need to stay indoors from now on. My only concern is I have two indoor cats who are not infected. I don't want them to end up with FIV. It's rare that they will fight but they have a couple of times. I also want to know if there is a certain cat food I should be buying for him from now on. Any tips will be helpful.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Newly diagnosed FIV cat

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome,

I’ve never adopted an FIV cat, however, I know of people who have/had and they can live perfectly normal lives. Hopefully these links below will reassure you:

There is also lots of information here:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/fiv

and here:

http://www.fivcats.com/FIV/fiv_introduction.html

and in this booklet:

http://www.fivcats.com/FIV/80_fiv_cats_booklet.html

Hope that helps, and cuddles to Yoshi xx
Catleesi
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catleesi »

Thank you for the links :) I'll check them out
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi there and welcome to CC. So you have one of THOSE vets have you? :x First of all don't panic and don't blame yourself.

I joined CC because I had just found out my one year old Booby was FIV+. He really had the cards stacked against him. My OH rescued him as a tiny kitten seconds before he was swept out to sea. He was born with a nerve-damaged leg - perfectly formed but no feeling below his 'wrist'. He was fine for a while but then he cut his leg and the wound became infected. We tried to save it but the wound would not heal. Our new vet (the old one would have PTS) was going to amputate the leg and before the OP tested for FIV (just a hunch). When he proved positive we were devastated. Someone at CC gave me Bob and Barbara's details at fivcats. They were brilliant! :D

Bob was and still is an indoor/outdoor cat as are my other three girls. They are all neutered. The FIV virus survives only a matter of seconds outside it's host. Bob eats the same food as before and, even with three legs, still enjoys an active life.

A few weeks back he cut one of his back legs and had to have it stitched. He also had to have a massive dose of AB's. It was very worrying at the time as he had some damage to a tendon. But as I write this he is having a post breakfast snooze with one of my other cats, before he 'hits the town' (actually the hedgerows - we live in the country) :lol:

Getting Yoshi neutered will reduce the risk of serious fighting (my lot still squabble, but that's just grumbley Gracie - nothing serious). With the right, good quality food and a sharp eye on any infections, there is no reason why he should lead a normal full life.
Catleesi
New Cat Chatter

Post by Catleesi »

Thank you for the reply. That's great to hear that bobby is still living a wonderful normal life with your other cats. Yoshi is home now and neutered. He's still interested in my female cat but I'm hoping that will die down soon. So from what I've heard from everyone, I will just need to make sure he doesn't get hurt because his immune system is so low now. I'm going to try and keep yoshi indoors for the most part. And watch him when I take him outside. I think he will do just fine with my other cats. I will make sure yoshi has good quality food that will help boost his immune system as well.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

My cat Lola has been diagnosed FIV+ at the end of April last year, she was nearly 16 yo and had been with us and the other cat for her entire life.
We didn't know she was FIV+, as a matter of fact we were sure she was negative because the test we had had many years before told us that.
The two cats have lived together, shared and swapped bowls, litter trays and beds, sometimes they also fought a bit. When I found out that Lola was FIV+ I had a test run on the second cat and everything was fine.
So, not necessarily a FIV+ cat might infect other cats.

We didn't have special precautions for her life, she's always been fine.
The only thing I have learned from this story is that FIV+ cats are much more exposed to cancers, because their immune system can't destroy the bad and crazy cells.
This would explain why my cat Lola has had three cancers in her life, two of them were destroyed, the third one is destroying her.
Had she been FIV- then probably she would be still fine.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I have an older ex-stray FIV+ who lives a 'normal' indoor/outdoor life and mixes in with the other five cats in the household (all FIV-). We live in a rural area with few other cats around, so I don't tend to worry about him going out. TBH I'm not sure how I'd feel if there were more cats around, as he's lived as a stray and loves the outdoor life I suspect I'd still do the same thing.
Geisli
New Cat Chatter

Post by Geisli »

I have a lot of cats two of which are FIV positive. they are as healthy and happy as my others. I am sure there are hundreds of cats that are FIV positive and the owners never know. Please don't worry too much. It is not considered the death sentence it used to be. I am sure your little chap will be fine
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Geisli, welcome to CC. I'm sure you are right, there are probably many cats out there who are FIV+ and no one is any the wiser as to their status.

Cateesi - how's Yoshi?
Charlie Poppet
New Cat Chatter

Post by Charlie Poppet »

I have had two FIV cats: a tortie female and a long haired black and white boy. The tortie died young from cancer, but she had been in a road accident when I re-homed her and, according to my vet, car accidents shorten cats' lives, so ... that's her, my lovely Frida. My boy, Charlie, is dying now but he is between 12-14, another I re-homed so his exact age was unknown. He had to have his teeth removed when young, as one common issue with FIV is that the virus attacks the gums. After his teeth were removed he was very health for years. About three years ago he started having seasonal dips, which I've been told is common with FIV. Charlie has lived with another of my cats, who does not have FIV and who has never been infected by Charlie as Charlie had no teeth to bite! Charlie has been a normal domestic cat with access to the outside world and he has loved being outside. Provided your cat is not a fighter by nature there will be no issue with your cat going outside.

Good luck with your FIV boy and may he have an enjoyable life.