new FIV owner & Gingivitis

Exchange FIV advice and information here.
girly-knight
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

new FIV owner & Gingivitis

Post by girly-knight »

Hi, I wondered if someone could give me some advice. My small year old rescue cat was treated two months ago for gingivitis (with hugely deformed swollen gums) with antibiotics. It took a long time to go and the vet said it was FIV. Within 3 weeks it's back again, I don't want her to spend the rest of her life on AB's (plus I can't afford it a £1 per tablet!). Does anyone know of any homeopathic/alternatives, as she's happy in herself and with my other cats and catching lots of mices. Many thanks!
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: new FIV owner & Gingivitis

Post by pandorawarlord »

may I suggest you take a look at http://www.catwork.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and if need be contact Barbara there
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Well done for taking on this little girl. I agree that looking up the catwork website is a great idea. I found it so helpful and Bob and Barbara have a wealth of experience.

Can I ask has your vet actually tested for FIV or has he said that it is FIV because of the severity of the gingivitus?

It would be good to try and find something other than antibiotics that could help your little girl. Prolonged use of AB's isn't good for her. I hope that you get some helpful suggestions. Keep us informed.
girly-knight
New Cat Chatter

Post by girly-knight »

Thanks for your advice and kind replies, I'll check out the website.
The vet hasn't tested, but the severity of the gingivitis and the fact that she was only 9mths old and was very ill when rescued (left as an ill 9week old kitten in cardboard box in the rain outside charity shop) made him pretty sure.

I had 4 cats originally, 18months ago I lost Merlin and Norton, black and black & white respectively at the age of 18 (sisters), I was devastated. My daughters cats Amber and Suki (another black) were left.

I went on the Catchat website and saw the problems rehoming black cats, so adopted a black kitten in merlin's honour, she came with a tabby girl. Six months later my daughter volunteers at a cat rescue centre and persuades us to adopt a lilac and white tabby (Portia). When we collected her, a little black kitten rolled over and looked like my lost Merlin, I couldn't leave her there. We named Morgana, as she resembled Merlin.

'Moggly' is a very small cat and very active (she presented her first baby rat at 4am this morning!) Luckily she's not aggressive, so I've no worries about bites to the others. She's happy and treats Portia like her litter sister. She's healthy except her gums, which is a problem as she prefers biscuits, and last time her gums swelled so much she swallowed biscuits whole and vomited. I'm a health professional, so I don't want perpetual antibiotics either.

I realise I can't do much about the FIV, it's just treating the symptoms.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Morgana sounds adorable as do your other cats. She definitely wanted to come home with you that day at the rescue :) I have a very soft spot for black cats as my FIV boy Harvey was black. I only learnt when I rescued him how unpopular black cats are. I have no idea why as I love them and also black and white cats.

If Morgana were my cat, then because of her very young age and the severity of the gingivitis, I would get her tested to confirm the diagnosis. At least then you would know for sure or rule it out. If she has got it then it makes no difference, you just carry on as you are and there is certainly no need to keep her away from the others if she's not likely to bite them (some vets will tell you otherwise but they are wrong). The other reason I would get her tested is because Feline Leukaemia also causes gingivitis and you would really need to know if Morgana has that as it is much more serious than FIV and can be passed on to your other cats. Both are tested for at the same time in the blood test so it doesn't mean having to have two separate tests done.

The website is absolutely brilliant. Bob and Barbara have had so much experience and they are happy for people to email them. Why not contact them and get their opinion on what to do with Morgana. They have so much more experience than I do.
Toni Ford
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Toni Ford »

Hi

One of my cats suffered with this condition and was treated with steroids for a long period of time until one of the Vets I saw suggested that steroids are OK short term but the best cause of action was to have his teeth removed. I know this sounds drastic but only the worst teeth were removed and later the remainder except for his front teeth.

He can eat anything without any problems and the gingivitis receded immediately and he has been problem free ever since.

By the way I have 3 black cats, one of whom is FIV+ and a black and white cat. I love black cats but I have found when working at various rescue centres that they are more difficult to rehome. What a shame hey?
Toni Ford
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Toni Ford »

I forgot to mention that my cat who had gingivitis is not my FIV+ cat!

Toni
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I have two young cats, neither were FIV+, but both had the condition FGS which resulted in both having the majority of their teeth removed, one was 2 and the other 3 years old so not old cats by any stretch. Both of their gums were were red raw and bloody, their teeth were just mush in places so very bad and it couldn't be down to their age.

This website is really useful: http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

One of my cats had terrible gums described as 'like raw liver', like Julia's cats he wasn't FIV either, (although the vet was very surprised due to the state of his mouth and other issues) but was in his teens when we adopted him. After trying all treatments including abs, mouthwashes, me scraping the teeth daily with a solution etc, we went for the full tooth removal and he had no problems thereafter and was able to eat biscuits and everything. Best of luck for your little girl, I hope you find some solution which helps.
girly-knight
New Cat Chatter

Post by girly-knight »

Thanks for sharing all your experiences, it really helps.
I have come across gingivitis previously. My Merlin was old, but eventually died of renal failure brought on by severe gum infection. She'd previously had some teeth removed, but wouldn't have survived the GA for the rest. Suki was 7 when she got it, and I had all her teeth taken out last year, and eats biscuits fine.

I did consider this with Morgana, but her gums are different. They don't bleed, they're just dark pink and swell to almost cover the outer side of her teeth completely. I don't like steroids either, long term they can cause osteoporosis in humans. It doesn't seem to distress her at the moment, I'm getting an average of 3 rodents a day brought in. We also have to watch her because she will eat absolutely anything (she stole and ate broccoli!)

On the black note, all the above cats were/are black. I have had no problems with either tabby or the tortoiseshell?!
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

I think it rather irresponsible of a vet to make such a diagnosis without a conclusive test to be honest!!

Get here tested for FIV is the 1st step.

I regularly get youngsters in the rescues with horrific mouths and gums that require full extractions. We always test such cats as it is a symptom of FIV but not one has tested positive to date!!

I stress again about my concerns for this vet and you need to get the test done. Yes it could be FIV of cause and its by no means the ends of the earth if it is but its just as likely not to be.......