Big tins of Supermeat getting harder to find?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Big tins of Supermeat getting harder to find?

Post by MarkB »

It seems very few places are selling it now. Our local Tesco extra has stopped selling the Whiskas one, as well as their own brand. PAH don't seem to have own brand on sale either.

It isn't that the cats like it, but I want it the seagulls I feed (long story) They eat the jelly one, but just pick out the chunks, leaing me to clean up a mound of smelly left over jelly at the end of the garden. If they have supermeat, they eat the lot.

I think Sainsbury's still sell it, but I wonder if they will discontinue it too.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Big tins of Supermeat getting harder to find?

Post by Kay »

Tesco do their own tins in gravy, Mark - have you tried them? I was also wondering if soaking dry food before putting it out would be acceptable to the gulls - I put dry out for my two strays and I notice magpies come and clear up any soggy bits left behind
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Big tins of most cat food seem to be getting hard to find - presumably more profit from pouches. I used to buy some of the Whiskas supermeat, but haven't seen it recently. Mine like Felix cans in jelly atm, in between AGAIL and Purina One sensitive, and they'll sometimes eat Butchers, but most of the big supermarkets don't sell the Felix cans they love now. :( :(

Oh for the days when you could pick and choose individual cans of the flavours you wanted, rather than have the multipacks of whatever they choose to put together!! :roll: :roll:

For big cans, Mark, if you don't mind the mess from the jelly, Aldi cans are only 35p atm - good enough for the gulls I reckon.
Last edited by Alice on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

what about Sainsbury's own loaf but for dogs? It's £2.50 or so for 6 tins... or I think you can get large tins of loaf with tripe for even less - but again it'll be dog food
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Oddcat »

Hi Mark, our feral cat (Cupcake) will only eat Whiskas supermeat so I share your problem. I believe Whiskas are phasing it out in the UK.
We keep a steady supply coming from Zooplus, they call it pate and the tin is all in German ... but Cupcake confirms that it's the same stuff, and the price is great too. £7.49 for 12 tins.

http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned ... ans/560162
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks for that. My biggest issue with Whiskas supermeat is that the cans have been difficult to clean out for recycling, since they started adding cereals a few years back- it seems to cling to the edges of the can. Not the end of the world, I know :) - what I would like to do is stop feeding the seagulls, but there is a tame one that has been eating the leftover cat food for years. We used to have a lot of waste, but less so now, so I have to supplement - even more so since the vet next door moved. The nurses also used to feed it. It now has a mate and various offspring. I would just stop putting food out, but worried that they might not be able to find enough food elsewhere as they have been conditioned to ea in our garden. (would be great not having to spend £2 - £3 a day on food for them too! :lol: )

Re dog food. I have bought some in the past, but a bit concerned that some cats (not mine) often eat the food I have put out for birds.

It is odd though that at one time, all cat food was a kind of supermeat slop and we have bee pushed in the direction of buying smaller and smaller pouches under the guise of them being 'premium' or 'gourmet' - around 10 years ago, Pets at Home used to sell a basic fish cat food that was a smelly slop, but the cats went crazy for it.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Mark, as long as cats are just pinching a bit of dog food they should be fine, the only reason they can't eat it is it doesn't have enough taurine.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes I guessed it was that. Mine wouldn't touch it anyway and cats that come to scrounge overnight will eat from the big bowl of food I put out on the table at the end of the garden each night. I will try the dog food again. The last time I bought dog food, I was able to get 800g tins quite cheap.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Alice wrote:Big tins of most cat food seem to be getting hard to find - they'll sometimes eat Butchers, but none of the big supermarkets sell it now. :( :(
Hi, Alice, Sainsburys still do Butchers - at least I hope they do; got some last week anyway :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:Yes I guessed it was that. Mine wouldn't touch it anyway and cats that come to scrounge overnight will eat from the big bowl of food I put out on the table at the end of the garden each night. I will try the dog food again. The last time I bought dog food, I was able to get 800g tins quite cheap.
Quite a few dog foods do add taurine now, but there seem to be more loafy varieties of dog food - wonder if you can still get chubb, used to come in a plastic wrapper
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Sorry, Lilith - I'd worded that sentence badly. Butchers Classic is widely available, but my cats will only eat it occasionally, as a change from their other food. I meant that cans of Felix are hard to find. I've seen online that Poundstretchers sell it, but haven't been there yet to see if it's in stock.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Alice wrote:Sorry, Lilith - I'd worded that sentence badly. Butchers Classic is widely available, but my cats will only eat it occasionally, as a change from their other food. I meant that cans of Felix are hard to find. I've seen online that Poundstretchers sell it, but haven't been there yet to see if it's in stock.
Ah, see what you mean - however -

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/ ... yFacetId1=

This is the Sainsbury's online site - I get my groceries delivered, so I expect stocks vary from store to store, but they do sell Felix tinned. It's a good service and I wait until i need more than a £100 worth and stock up so as to get free delivery, but of course you can't browse round the actual store for reduced items, swings and roundabouts I guess :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Mark, I've just noticed that Zooplus sell cans of Whiskas described as 'in pate' - presumably similar, if not the same as, the meatloaf we used to buy. There's 4 flavours - poultry, beef, tuna and heart - 24 x 400g for £13.99, or packs of 12 cans.

I've just had a big order from them, so won't be ordering for a while, but if you do get some perhaps you'll be kind enough to post a comment on here to let us all know if it seems to be meatloaf renamed.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Did you see Oddcat's post below Alice? - apparently it is the same thing. - I am going to buy some in Sainsbury's for now - they still sell own brand supermeat for £2.35 for 6 cans - the beauty is, it is cereal free and doesn't stick to the can. I think it might be the only supermarket still selling it - so maybe not for much longer. http://tinyurl.com/jnjvckb
My cats used to love the old Whiskas supermeat, but they started adding cereals to it around 6 years ago and they wouldn't eat it after that. The Sainsbury's one is cereal-free
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I've just picked up on this thread and would like to add my three-penny worth (God THAT dates me).

In the short time we had Kafka, the jackdaw, we found that he loved the meat that our primadonna's wouldn't eat. With some of the AGAIL varieties they lick the jelly/gravy and leave the meat, same thing with Butcher's. It was a case of Jack Spratt - the cats had the gravy and the jackdaw, the meat and nothing was thrown away.

That would only work if you have picky pussies. :roll:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

bobbys girl wrote: That would only work if you have picky pussies. :roll:

that'll be just 95% of us then
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

It was great when I kept hens - any leftover chunks, or the dregs of the biscuit bowl, were received with cackles of joy - a hen's so easy to please.

Unlike cats. I DID try my lot on the Sainsbury's supermeat - and they refused it, and own brand biscuits too.

Sainsburys are doing an offer on Sheba Fine Flakes poultry pouches, £13 for 48x85g; though my lot get Butchers, I stick Emily's and Mouse's joint supplement in something a bit fancier, and this seems like a good price :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Ooooopps - Senior moment :oops:
Sorry Mark, I'd missed the earlier post about Zooplus.

If I'm anywhere near Sainsburys I'll look for their supermeat and see how it goes down. They like the foil trays of pate from Aldi and Lidl, and going back a while, they really loved the Cleo meatloaf in cans that Home Bargains sold off cheaply.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I went to Morrisons yesterday (We don't have a local one - the nearest ones are 5 miles away in Herne Bay and Canterbury) they have big tins of supermeat still. They call it pate - probably why it didn't come up when I searched online. 6 packs £2.50, 12 packs £4.50
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh, may have a look at my local Morrisons Mark, thanks for the heads up. Abbie quite likes the supermeat
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Me too (will try Morrisons that is, not that I like it :lol:) not seen any for ages! and my cats used to like it.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Janey wrote:Me too (will try Morrisons that is, not that I like it :lol:) not seen any for ages! and my cats used to like it.
Janey, they revamped our Morrisons (Woking) quite a few years back and it's really nice now. Fantastic range of fresh veg and fruit, really really good
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

The medium sized one I went to in Herne Bay yesterday is a disgrace. I used to go there once in a while an it was OK, but yesterday there were so many empty shelves. It was really untidy - probably the worst supermarket I can remember going into. Their big store in Canterbury is lovely. I LOVE the mince & onion pies from their instore bakery.

Ps - the Pate/Supermeat is (unlike Whiskas), cereal-free :)
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by pandorawarlord »

many being sold on E-Bay, Pet Express, petshop.co.uk millbryhill.co.uk blakesbait.co.uk and of course Amazon think their all trying to get rid of their stock. {hope this helps}
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Oddcat »

Great, thanks for letting us know. There is a Morrisons just round the corner from where I work in Wolverhampton so I'll pop in.

And even better that it's cereal free. I worry about the amount of cereal in Cupcake's diet. The others eat Bozita which has a much higher meat content. But Cupcake insists on her pate / supermeat! :roll:
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Another thing I realised is the boxes of pouches Morrisons sell under the Pascoes brand are the same as The Co-op/Sainsbury's/Tesco/Asda own brand pouches - but much cheaper. Only £2 a box and cereal free too.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I had a look on Petexpress, but they are charging over £20 for 24 cans. I suppose they are heavy, but that is twice as much as I am paying in Sainsbury's or Morrisons and Whiskas contains cereals (never used to) The other thing is, since they changed the recipe about 5 years ago, it sticks to the cans, making them really messy to scrub out for recycling.
Last edited by MarkB on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Well, didn't get to Morrisons but bought some supermeat (own brand) at Sainsbury instead - it's really really dry though. Abbie doesn't seem overly pleased with it, but will have a nibble at it. Suspect the hedgehogs may be getting most of the tins once they wake up - sigh
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I don’t usually shop at Morrisons mainly because we don’t have one very local, but there’s one not too far away. Hopefully will get this weekend and it sells Supermeat, and will try that pate too that Mark mentioned, my cats love pate cat foods :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It is just a supermeat really. It is quite dry as Ria says. It reminds me of the cat food my mum used to buy when I was small. They cut it off a big slab. It looked like supermeat but had the odd bristle andvein in it :mrgreen: - our cat loved it though :) (I can remember the smell nearly 50 years on! :lol: )