Thoughts upon the cat carrier ...

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Thoughts upon the cat carrier ...

Post by Lilith »

We hope we don't have to use one, but we keep one, or several, handy, just in case we do.

Frankly I'm not impressed with these things.

I had a dreadful experience 11 years ago with my bog standard Wilkinsons' cat carrier. The cat, Tess, had had a slight brush with a car resulting in an injured leg (poor girl, she was later to die in a rta) and I was taking her back for a checkup. Wish I hadn't! As I carried her towards the heavy self-closing door of the surgery (not my present vet's) I found it blocked by two women having a good natter. The one holding the door open smiled at me and I smiled my thanks back at her, as she seemed to be making way for me. She wasn't. As I went through, she let go of the door and it slammed into Tess's carrier, snapping the fragile clasps and ejecting Tess, who flew back out into the car park - on the edge of a very busy road. Sensible girl, she had the gumption to crouch under a car and I was able to grab her, and the carrier fragments ... somehow we put ourselves, and the carrier, back together, but I never trusted the thing after that ...

A few years ago I invested in a couple of these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Described as 'space age' by some people, although a vet was concerned by the possible lack of air. And another self-assembly cat carrier, smaller and cheaper, which doesn't seem to be listed by Amazon any more.

Both came as self-assembly items and they were hellish, if near impossible, to assemble!

I may have shopped at the wrong sources, but I do wish I could have found a more user and cat-friendly carrier. The space-age ones are holding up - I hope! so far, although I daren't use the top-opening option in case the whole contraption falls apart. The other carrier is for emergencies only and I've had to bodge up a catch for the door ... waste of money.

The ideal cat carrier, to me, is the old fashioned wicker basket with the metal grid door and leather handle. Harder to clean, maybe, but it always looked strong and trustworthy.

What do you guys think?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Thoughts upon the cat carrier ...

Post by alanc »

There are only two types of cat carrier I have found reliable, the old wicker type with metal grille door in front and the plastic covered metal crate with removable lid. The plastic things are an abomination and I have never trusted them after one broke apart under the hammering it was getting from Tilly - fortunately I was nearly outside my front door and she went and hid in a neighbors garden where I managed to catch her. I bought the wicker one from the RNIB 37 years ago for my first cat Sally and it is still in working order, but pensioned off as getting Tilly out of it at the vets can be a bit tricky! The grille is also getting a bit bent, so I am afraid Tilly might manage to lever the door open. The one I usually use is the metal crate which I bought from the CPL some years ago. It has a detachable lid and is much easier to retrieve Tilly from (and get her in, as well). Main problem I see with it is the metal grill is not big enough to get my fingers in to stroke Tilly whilst at the vets. (You can do that with the wicker basket grille.) To add to the faults of the plastic things, they have a small door, which is very difficult to get a large cat through when they don't want to!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We have tried various cat carrying options in the past and I have always ended up going back to the old wire cage style cat carrier. My parents had them when I was a child and after trying several plastic ones I decided that while they are more expensive they are a good investment as they do last, and gave in and bought a couple for myself. They may not be fashionable or stylish, but they are practical. There only downside is that they can't be folded down for storage.

Plastic coated wire mesh is easy to clean, some come with a removable tray, others have fleecy pads in the bottom, some are just the cage and you put your own newspaper or towels in there, it doesn't really matter. They are top opening only, but it is fairly easy to drop the cat in, hold the head down and shut the carrier. I have had less problems getting a cat into one of these than any other carrier, even Freyja, using a scruff, lift, turn and place technique. There was even enough access that the vet decided it would be kinder to leave her in the carrier while she did a quick health check and gave her her vaccinations, something that couldn't be done with a lot of carriers. Fastening wise, there are two loops at the top front rim of the cage that go through the lid, there is then a plastic coated metal rod that goes through the loops once the lid is down, so very little to go wrong and very hard to break.

Unfortunately they are becoming harder to find, people seem to want the fancier carriers instead, I did find this one on Amazon which is similar to one I have at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Large- ... at+carrier

We are lucky that the two we have now will fit one inside the other for storage, i got a large one when I had Blue as he was a big cat and the normal size seemed small.

The worst one I will add was one the vets let us have one time when I was a kid. A cardboard carrier that was allegedly guaranteed for at least 10 minutes and was generally said to be good for a lot longer, Fangs went through it in less than 2 minutes (yes as a child we had a cat called Fangs), fortunately we hadn't got out of reception when we realised that it wasn't going to be enough, so she didn't escape and they then lent us a proper wire carrier they had around, I think that was when my parents were converted on to them.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Ruth, they do still make the wire carriers, can't remember the name of the company but they are one of cat chats sponsors, they actually come in 3 sizes. My favourite used to be one from Argos but they haven't made them for years. Our childhood cat also shredded a cardboard carrier in minutes.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I know they still make the wire ones, I found a couple on Amazon, it just seems that they are a lot less common than they used to be, but in my mind they are well worth hunting down. Looking on Amazon there are loads of plastic or fabric ones and only one or two wire ones, which seems a shame, it's all style of substance these days.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

At the vets, Tilly even once jumped straight into her wire crate carrier from the vets table after her injections. She would never have manged that with one of those plastic things!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have abandoned my Cabio carrier too, as I didn't trust it to stay secure with my 6.3k gingernut inside

I now use a stout canvas and mesh one, which opens at the top and side, has broad straps, and which is much bigger, lighter and easier to carry than plastic, wire and wicker ones. And Tiffany is straight in it for a nap if I put it out.

It came on a 4 wheeled base in case my arms give out completely one day!

As a precaution though I do secure the zip ends by attaching them to the bag with safety pins.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha - wish I'd had the sense to start this thread BEFORE I bought my present carriers - you guys are much more clued up than me!

The 'space-age' things I have weigh a ton too - pity I can't trust the catches to be stronger. Ironically I've found some wicker carriers on Amazon now ... swear they weren't there when I was looking last time. Rather rustic fussy igloo shaped things and they have a single rod across the door which I'm not sure is secure enough (the old type had leather straps and buckles) but maybe I might buy one ... The plastic covered metal ones are very good and I'm glad they're still available, but I feel they need to be draped with a blanket to give the cat some privacy.

Kay, I've never seen the canvas and mesh carrier - do you have a link?

I remember those cardboard carriers, Ruth - any cat with any intelligence (and we know they've got that!) soon learned to pull the top flaps downwards and disengage the flimsy connecting lugs and ... yippee! Freedom!

The very first time I took a cat to the vet's would have been in 1962, well, to the RSPCA clinic for his neutering (10/6d!) and he travelled in my mother's zip-up shopping bag with his head sticking out. On the bus. How I got away with that I'll never know!

Thanks everybody! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

We have just bought a dog cage as a playpen for the kittens. It will also be a bed and time-out zone to give the adults (human AND feline a break! :lol: ) I does fold flat and comes with a removable tray. The only thing it does not have is a handle. It is a bit big for trips to the vet, but they do a smaller size that I am thinking of getting. So tired of trying to get any of them into the plastic carrier - the door is just too small. Oh, and I bought it from Pets at Home, think it cost £27.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Lilith, this is the one I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/STROLLER-PUSHC ... a+valentti

you can see how the top opens right up, and the comfortable carry handles - can't vouch for the wheeler part as I have yet to use it, but it hasn't rusted despite being in my garden shed for three years

I get it out the night before a vet visit, and if it is Tiffany going I usually just have to do up the zips, as I am almost certain to find her asleep in it in the morning!
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Have a look here Lilith...

Amazon has a number of soft ones on here...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... t+carriers

I must admit I still use the plastic carriers, but having once had a handle break I've now put rope (well a cheap clothes line really) round and made a rope handle. I'm lucky that when I get them out and open the doors my placid Ragdolls walk in without any trouble! I've never had cats that did that before.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Lilith, they do make covers for the wire carriers, really must look for the company who make them
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

This is the carrier I have for Bella, it is ok for her but it is quite small, Bella is small but for a normal or large size cats it would be too small.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... ?orderBy=3#

Marg.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Most of my cats never seem to have a problem with privacy, if they are shut in the cage they have far bigger concerns, such as being shut in a cage. The only one i have that needs to be covered is Freyja and I just throw a towel over the carrier for her.

Blue used to quite enjoy it, he liked to be able to see what was going on, and seemed to know when people were admiring him.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks guys :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I'm always terrified one of my carriers will split apart when en route with a cat, so all mine have been cable tied together under the four clasps and I double and triple check the grate in the front of it... So far thankfully all been fine
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol, Meriad, I may just try that, to be on the safe side.

I'm beginning to think that the only advantage of these plastic carriers is ease of cleaning and privacy - stuck with them now though :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Well, well. It seems I'm about to receive this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I'd fancied it and put it in my 'basket' and thought I'd bought it (although I often do this and forget to press the 'buy now' button) then overnight thought, wish I hadn't, where the hell am I to store it. The next time I ordered something, the pet carrier was still in my Amazon basket, so I thought, oh good, I'll put it in the 'save for later' section.

Today Amazon have told me it's been dispatched.

While I'm quite willing to accept I've made a mistake, at the same time Amazon have sent me an email confirming dispatch of a book I've already bought. Now I KNOW I can't possibly have ordered 2 copies of that book!

Is the world, or Amazon, or me, going mad?

Has anyone else had this sort of problem with Amazon?

Looks like I have a fourth cat carrier ... :shock:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Its black friday so Amazon's computers are probably in overdrive.

If they do send things through and you don't want them remember that according to distance selling laws you do have the right to a 'cool off period' and can return them just because 'you no longer want it' rather than there having to be something wrong with it.

Personally I would always be worried that wicker carriers would be too flimsy and a determined cat could chomp their way out of one.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Now there's a thing. :? On 21 Nov I ordered a water filter from Amazon. Yesterday I went shopping with my mum and hammered my debit card (some of it on her behalf). When I got home I checked the 'damage' online to sort out who owed what. To my surprise I was well overdrawn! Checking the statement Amazon had requested the payment twice (21&23Nov). After several 'phone calls, Amazon tell me the bank declined the payment and (after a 17 minute wait to talk to someone) my bank say the fault is Amazon's. ????? I await the next installment with baited breath!

In their defence I have never had any problems with Amazon before (can't say the same with the bank) and Amazon's customer service got a 10 out of 10 for promptness. Perhaps it is all this 'Black Friday' nonsense gumming up the works? :?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

could be - maybe extra staff taken on at this time of year?

Amazon's returns system is the best online - just tell them you want to return, no need to give a reason, print off the label they send you by email, request a carrier if bulky, using the link provided, or drop off at on of the many collection and return points (mostly Spar shops) and await replacement or refund

and you can refuse at the door if goods are brought by a carrier - just tell customer service you have done it

if you are a long-standing customer like me you will get a refund before they have received back the goods
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah. Thanks guys :)

I hate to be a 'yes, but' merchant, but ...

I haven't a working printer, and I don't go out, so have to ask a friend to do this sort of errand (I see him right for petrol etc.) The last time I had to return a faulty item Amazon wouldn't authorise him to print me a label either until after a lot of tiresome arguing I sorted it (they did refund me as soon as it was dispatched though, as Kay's said.)

I've emailed them and am waiting to see what they say, but if the worst comes to the worst I'll probably accept the carrier (though not the damn book grrr!)

Ruth, I'll check it out first but I can't imagine Emily or Mouse sinking their teeth into it (they haven't got many.) Molly I'm not sure about, but I'm building a new bigger vivarium for Shahi-python and the carrier might look quite good on top of that, and the dreaded Mollteazer Firecat likes to roost on top of the warm viv, so it might be an attractive way of accustoming her to being in a carrier (though heaven forbid she has to go to the vet. They'd need a whip and a chair!)

At least she can't squash it like she did with her igloo! :lol:

Now if Moll was the size of Alan's Tilly it would be a different proposition ... :o

I know I'm absent-minded on occasion errm I mean all the time, but not terribly pleased with Amazon ... you're probably right, Bobbys Girl and it's because of Black Friday ... fancy charging you twice :evil:
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

A Tilly sized Moll would strike terror into the heart of any vet! Fortunately, although she hates going, once on the Vets table Tilly does her best to charm them out of doing nasty things like sticking needles in her and keeps her claws and teeth covered.
Ruth - I can only say that in the 37 years since I bought it, none of my cats have tried eating the wicker basket - I am quite surprised how robust it is. Modern ones may well not be as sturdy, of course!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Looking at the picture, I don't think a cat would chew through the wicker, but there seems to be only one piece of wire holding the door closed. If the cat pushed hard on the bottom of the door, might it pivot and leave a cat-size gap?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Alan, I think a vet would rather tackle a Scottish Wildcat than a Tilly sized Molly! :lol:

Hi, Mary,judging from reviews there are no hinges whatsoever :o The door is a loose panel as far as I can see. Daft eh?

This is another reason why I hesitated, but if I do accept the thing, I'm going to attach cable ties as hinges ... design fault or what? :x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Well ... rant warning ...

Today I got an email about the thing being out for delivery ... great. Kept listening out for knock at door, nothing ...

Then got email saying it had been delivered to neighbour two doors down ... I've never met these neighbours and certainly haven't named them as being there to take in my parcels! :oops: I HATE asking for favours.

However Amazon (despite mentioning them by name) haven't delivered the basket to them either. Profuse apologies from me.

Phoned Amazon and told them that no way am I accepting the thing if it turns up and want a refund.

Arrggghhhh grrrr and no longer trust Amazon! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry to hear that Lilith. I got an email today saying my order is on it's way. When OH checked this morning it looked like the order had been cancelled! :? We'll see.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

Amazon's delivery tracking is really messed up these days. A couple of weeks ago, I had an e-mail to say that my package would be delivered on Wednesday. Fine - I was going out on Tuesday but would be home all day Wednesday. However, on Wednesday morning a neighbour from two or three doors down came to give me my package as it had been left with her on Tuesday. Not only had they brought it on the wrong day, they had not left me a card or any notification to say where it was. If the neighbour had not been honest, it would just have vanished.

There have been one or two other occasions when something came earlier than promised. Amazon need to realise that earlier is not better; people need to know when to stay at home. I'm retired now so I'm at home a lot anyway. But if I were still in the situation of having to take a day off work to be at home for a parcel, I would make more use of the service where they can deliver to somewhere local (in my case, my Post Office) and be collected from there.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I've had fantastic service this week, ordered 5 things on Wed, 3 have arrived already, although only one alert, probably because the rest aren't due yet!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I've never had cause for complaint before, but anyway, I suppose this has made up my mind about the cat carrier for me. I've rung them and got the promise of a refund - paws crossed.

Blame it on Black Friday eh? Good luck to us all! :)