Operation night time lockdown is a failure

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Operation night time lockdown is a failure

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I know it seems as if we're all having a go at you but it's because we've learned from experience and that includes the experience loving our furbabes beyond words can say. We adopted a 16 year old girl who desperately needed a loving home and it was the best thing we did for us and for her. Since the we have taken two more 'unhomeable' rescues, a very nervous little girl who is coming up to 10 and a big bruiser of an ex stray boy with major dental issues of possibly 6/7. They are all the absolute apples of our eyes. However, I am aware that life was much easier when we just had our old girl as though she tolerates the others and we encourage as much integration as she will allow she tells us all very clearly when she's had enough and needs some down time. Our 10 year old girl and ex stray boy were best mates within 24 hours which was an amazing relief but I had hoped that would be the case from what I knew of Lou Lou and had been told about Edgar. So now Lou and Ed have company whenever they want it and they do look after each other. Oldie Pepsi does her own thing and loves bring with me and OH and is actually emotionally the strongest of the three. They will all hang out in the same room together but whilst Lou Lou and Edgar would find it hard without each other now I think Pepsi would be perfectly happy as an only girl. The reality is that she will probably go to the Bridge first but I have decided that I will have to try to be very strong and not take in another furbabe when that happens. Lou Lou and Edgar get on so incredibly well I would not want to jeopardise that by adding an unknown quantity. I know it will be incredibly difficult to stick to that especially if there's an oldie who needs special loving but Lou and Edgar will just have to come first. I say all this with the feeling that a new cat in the mix does not necessarily solve any existing problems and it could unbalance what is working well, but like us all, I'm only airing my opinion and in your case it could be just right!
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: Operation night time lockdown is a failure

Post by Sniper1 »

Oh my goodness what a thread,I haven't read all of it I couldn't after reading some,cats sometimes have to be allowed to do what makes then happy even with the risks involved and that is something everyone should consider before getting a cat...they can not all be happy with confinement be it just nighttime, permanent indoors or enclosed garden it does not always work I would get a microchip cat flap for your current two and give 24 hour access if the worst happens have you been cruel by letting them be happy? NO and danger is everywhere always and your new Siamese will be safe indoors as the flap won't open for him/her best of luck whatever you choose at least you care enough to consider their welfare and ask others despite some of the responses you've had