Cloudy Jelly In Cat Food..?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
bytor
Returning Cat Chatter

Cloudy Jelly In Cat Food..?

Post by bytor »

Has anyone else noticed this..? I've had a good few boxes of both Felix and Tesco's Premium cat food that has cloudy jelly and my little monster, Georgie Porgie, won't go near it. You can tell that one has gone bad because the pouch is slightly swollen and the cat food (due to the food being wonky) is harder in consistency than it should be when you scrunch it with your fingers before you open it...and it smells pretty strong when you do open it.

I thought it may be the way my regular supermarket was storing it in the back or something but I've tried 2 different Tescos and an Asda and find the same thing. I've just come back from Asda and bought some that's more transparent and she's eating it without a problem.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cloudy Jelly In Cat Food..?

Post by geckodiva »

Could be a temperature thing. I've had olive oil go cloudy when it's been really cold.
And I'd like to think they have some quality control so it isn't a manufacturing issue. The look of the food is probably less of a concern with cat food so probably have wider tolerances than with human food so the the allowable variances are greater.
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

It's not something I've noticed, but if you can tell the pouch is dodgy before you open it, perhaps try taking one back to the shop/sending it back to the manufacturer to see what they say?
bytor
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by bytor »

I think I'll contact both Tesco and Felix, just surprised that nobody else on here has noticed it. Georgie won't go anywhere near it. :x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

the only time I've ever seen cloudy jelly is when I've forgotten a tin of food in the fridge for about a week :oops: :oops: :oops: And it had gone off.... it also was more liquid if that makes sense?

I feed mine the Felix AGAIL and that has all been fine
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Same as Ria, I've only seen cloudy jelly when I've forgotten an open tin somewhere and it's gone off. :oops:
bytor
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by bytor »

Yup, that's probably why it smells a bit strong too and why she won't eat it. Must be where they're storing it...maybe next to a heater or something out the back. Got another couple of boxes from Asda and they're fine...so maybe they haven't got the heater on now that it's got a bit warmer.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

I doubt very much its storage sounds more like an issue at manufacture with bacteria and temperature or the seal of the pouches....as an employee of Britain's largest retailer I advise take em back, make a fuss and insist on some generous gesture for your inconvenience
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Not cloudy jelly, but in the past I have had blown up pouches (usually Felix) when I have phoned them, they ask for the codes and send a voucher. Used to be £10, but the last couple of times it has been for £5. Each time, they say that it is because a tiny bit of air must have got in the pouch before it was sealed and had allowed bacteria to grow. The only other time this happened was with Lidl premium pouches. I took the blown up pouch back to the Canterbury store and they were quite shirty about it. The woman got the manager.He ripped a box open and gave me a single pouch to replace the bad one!